Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jround
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

McAfee ePO Server (Apache) service always gets stuck at 'Stopping'

On the ePO server I can stop Event Parser and Application Server without issues (sometimes have to force kill the Tomcat process if running), but McAfee ePO Server (Apache/OpenSSL) always gets stuck in a 'Stopping' state. 

I even did a force kill of the service (MCAFEEAPACHESERVICE or something like that anyway) from an administrative command line which said the process had been terminated but still it was stuck at the 'Stopping' state!

A full restart of the server is the only way to get it out of this state and then started again, but the issue becomes a bit of a pain as today I have ran the ePO 5.9.1 upgrade (from 5.3.3) but had to set all the services to manual startup temporarily just so this ePO Server service wouldn't start up and prevent the upgrade due to getting hung at Stopping.  After the upgrade I tested a hotfix install, same issue at the Stopping of the service, I did manage to get them on doing the server reboots and manual service startups again but surely it should be able to shut down a bit more cleanly!

I'm sure it used to be able to stop itself at one point in the past...

4 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee ePO Server (Apache) service always gets stuck at 'Stopping'

I have seen that a couple of times lately.  I would suggest opening a ticket with McAfee and run procmon when trying to stop apache so we can try to figure out what is going on with it.  We would need the procmon log and mer from same time frame (mer.mcafee.com).  Let me know when you open one what the ticket number is, I would like to keep track of it.  Some other context questions to go along with that:

1.  Does this always occur and if not, how frequently?

2.  When it does occur, what was the purpose of stopping the service - any issues going on with it?

3.  Anything else unusual or not working at the time that happens?

Also, follow kb79646 to capture some apache logging.  Start with this section:

If the Apache service is in a running state: 
In some cases, Apache -X output is captured when Apache is in a running state, and you see information similar to the following:

....................................\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Apache2\bin>Apache.exe -X

Then go to this section and get that output.  Obviously you won't capture the module shutdown complete, but we might find at least where it is hanging.  Do you have any 3rd party software installed that monitors services?

To stop Apache -X, press CTRL+C. The following displays when Apache-X stops......

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
jround
Level 9
Message 3 of 5

Turns out this is a bad Windows Update issue!

https://serverfault.com/questions/922066/apache-2-4-is-unkillable-and-cant-be-stopped-on-windows-ser...

Once I installed the KB4345459 (for Server 2008 R2) the issue was resolved straight away Smiley Happy

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the update!  Very helpful info.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

twenden
Level 13
Message 5 of 5

I ran into the same issue this morning trying to install the latest ePO hotfix. Really appreciate that you posted this info as after I installed the Microsoft update the Apache service was then able to stop. 

MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.