cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee ePO 5.1.0 disaster recovery..

Hi Friends,

I have an query. As I have installed Mcafee ePO 5.1.0 server and I want to build a DR site ePO server with the same version also so that if my total DC is down ePO agents can communicate with the DR server. In this scenario how it is possible? My DR site ePO server IP address will be different where my DC site ePO server IP address is different. I have installed the DC site ePO server with IP address. And in my setup Active Directory server is present. How ePO agents will communicate with the DR server in case of whole DC failure. I have read Mcafee KB66616 and got the procedure for the backups and restorations for policies and database but I need more technical details how it will work. Please help me to get the same. Thank you.

Regards,

Pinaki.

6 Replies

Re: McAfee ePO 5.1.0 disaster recovery..

Hello,

This is not possible in McAfee environment, That's why McAfee came up with snap shot option in 5.1.1 to cover disaster recovery. You can create a DR server but only in cluster.

Hi Ansarias,

I do not have cluster because I am using windows 2008 standard edition. Apart from that is there any way? Is it possible to create a dns record and point the agents to that? If the primary server is down we will change the record from old IP to new IP so that client can download the new DR server sitelist.xml file?

In practical this is possible but it will be very complicated because you can't sync policies and ePO system tree settings with each other. I'll suggest to use ePO snapshot option which is the best option now If any issues happened with ePO server.

you should use backup and restore only if your epo is damaged or something wrong, for your requerment you should use either fallback or clustering. I heard that there is an issue if you enable hips firewall on the epo server , the cluster failover will not function

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply. As per customer requirement we need to perform this scenario as I told you earlier. I need to know one information that is if I perform the DNS probing to perform the health check will this help me for my requirement? Along with that if I create dns record for both the DC ePO and DR ePO servers IP address will all the agents communicate with the DR server in case of DC failure??

I do not know why you are worrying about DNS probing, you do not need it you should use either fallback or clustering dear.