cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee and Toad...

Hello,

We have a user that is experiencing problems with McAfee and Toad version 10.5. When loading and closing Toad it takes a very long time and you can see that the McAfee process sparks of for this duration. I have added the following:

VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0 > On-Access Default Processes Policies > My Default

But this still does not solve the issue. Anything else I can do?

Your help is much appreciated!

Dan

7 Replies

Re: McAfee and Toad...

You may have to use process monitor to see what mcafee is scanning. - Check McAfee Knowlegebase for instructions on how to use it

If you simply can't figure the procmon out and have lost all hope.. You could try using the on-access statistic window..

Double click the mcafee virus scan icon (instead of right-clicking to bring up the console) it brings up the On-Access scan statistics windows. With some luck you can "catch" what the on-access scanner is scanning. - But this method puts you real close to one of those end-users.

Good luck

Cliff

Highlighted
mjmurra
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 8

McAfee profiler might also help determine what is occuring.

http://mer.mcafee.com/enduser/downloadmcprofiler.aspx

Instructions are here: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD22737

Message was edited by: mjmurra on 17/09/10 12:54:34 PM

Message was edited by: mjmurra on 17/09/10 12:55:02 PM

Excellent tip mjmurra,

I have asked McAfee for some time to develop a tool to do just this..

and to think they just release one.!

I am in the process of evaluting this tool..

Again,, Excellent tip

Cliff

Thanks folks I will have a look into your possible solutions and get back to you.

Cheers,

Dan

We had the same issue with Toad taking a looong time to load. We created the exclusion folder path exclusion in the On-Access Default Processes Policies too but that wasn't working.

After a bit of process monitoring a colleague found that toad was "calling" explorer.exe which is a high-risk process (we have separate low and high-risk on-access process policies).

We added the %programfiles%\QuestSoftware\ exclusion to the On-Access High-Risk Processes Policies and that did the trick for us.

Regards,

Bob

Great stuff! The user now reports that Toad works fine. I'm not sure which change has done it as I implemented a few but you will all get some points. Thanks guys!

mjmurra
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 8 of 8

There's a KB article up now regarding 10.5.1.3

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB70663

The recommendation is to exempt toad.exe only (or install an extra.dat which I assume prevents VSE from scanning toad.exe)

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community