Highlighted
it1024
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

McAfee agent services are not removed after McAfee Agent 5.6 removal

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

The first problem we faced was that after installing McAfee agent on a Windows Server 2016 where we needed the firewall to be off, the firewall turned on itself and it would turn on each time I turned it off. So we decided to remove McAfee agent 5.6.1 from that server by deleting the system in ePO System Tree and it was removed successfully. But the firewall condition remained the same. So I had to disable firewall through windows registry.

Today I noticed that three McAfee services are still available although McAfee agent is removed (attached picture). The condition of these services is the same as the firewall, i.e. if stopped, turn on by themselves! So I have got two questions:

1- Is it true to conclude that Windows firewall turning on was caused by McAfee agent installation? And also the problem of not being able to disable firewall?

2- Why the McAfee services remained after McAfeee agent removal? And how can I remove them?

Thank you in advance.

McAfee-services.jpeg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAfee agent services are not removed after McAfee Agent 5.6 removal

Jump to solution

The McAfee agent has no functionality or reason to turn on and off Windows firewall.  So I highly doubt that the agent is doing it - most likely some group policy in your environment.

When you delete a system from epo and choose to remove the agent, it does not actually uninstall the agent, but only takes it out of managed mode.  So yes, the services will remain, but it won't talk to epo anymore.  This is as designed so any point products can still get updates because the agent is required for updates to run.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

7 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

The McAfee agent has no functionality or reason to turn on and off Windows firewall.  So I highly doubt that the agent is doing it - most likely some group policy in your environment.

When you delete a system from epo and choose to remove the agent, it does not actually uninstall the agent, but only takes it out of managed mode.  So yes, the services will remain, but it won't talk to epo anymore.  This is as designed so any point products can still get updates because the agent is required for updates to run.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Is the agent not being removed when it is removed from ePO with the "Remove agent at next check in" checked new to 5.6?  There are times where we need the agent to be removed from the system. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

It only takes it out of managed mode, not a full uninstall of the agent.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

according to KB85135 that is not the case. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

So that would all depend then on whether there are any other McAfee products installed on the system at the time you remove the agent via epo like that.  If there are ANY installed McAfee products other than the agent, it will not remove it, but take it out of managed mode.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

So I tested this with ens installed - it takes it out of managed mode.  I then removed ens and tested again and this time the agent was removed, so it is as I said - depends on whether there are any products installed or not.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Thank you for clarifying, cdinet. We always remove the products first before deleting systems out of ePO so that makes sense. 

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community