Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zade
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 33

McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise Update

Jump to solution

Hi Guys I've received a notification through to say that the below updates are available:

Could someone tell me the best process for updating this within the EPO environment? Do I update or check in? My current version is 8.8.0.1445. I would like to update and then roll out the new version in a controlled fashion.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andrep1
Level 14
Message 8 of 33

Re: McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise Update

Jump to solution

When an extension check-in fails, it fails big time. If it can't roll back, better be sure you have a good backup. Extensions are pieces of software that run on your ePO application server so it is an all or nothing thing that affects you database structure.

It is one of the riskiest thing you can do in ePO.

32 Replies
zade
Level 7
Message 2 of 33

Jump to solution

What is the difference between checkin and update?

damiafaw
Level 10
Message 3 of 33

Jump to solution

Update = Updates the current branch you have it installed in

Check in = you can put it into a different branch for testing, such as evaluation instead of overwriting your current branch.

andrep1
Level 14
Message 4 of 33

Jump to solution

Consider doing pilot group.

An option is to check in the full product for new machines, so they would pilot it. You can also checkin the patch 7 into evaluation and have a subset of you devices update virusscan code from eval

twenden
Level 13
Message 5 of 33

Jump to solution

If it was me, I would check in Patch 7 to the Evaluation Branch. In our environment, I use Policy Assignment rules along with Tags to deploy the patch out to only systems I want to test with.

We use a TAG called "Test Patch 7".

Create an agent policy that pulls the patches from the Evaluation branch.

Create a Policy Assignment rule that uses that modified agent policy and also use the TAG called "Test Pacth 7".

When we assign this tag to a system, it will get that modified agent policy which tells it to pull the patch from the Evaluation branch.

zade
Level 7
Message 6 of 33

Jump to solution

Thank you to all the helpful comments, i noticed next to management/report extensions there is only update, is it safe to do this prior to checking in the new branch?

tkinkead
Level 12
Message 7 of 33

Jump to solution

It's extremely unlikely that checking in an updated extension will cause issues, unless perhaps you're running a version of the software that the extension specifically doesn't support (which is, from I've seen, very rare).  I'd suggest checking in the extension updates before deploying the software to any endpoints. 

andrep1
Level 14
Message 8 of 33

Jump to solution

When an extension check-in fails, it fails big time. If it can't roll back, better be sure you have a good backup. Extensions are pieces of software that run on your ePO application server so it is an all or nothing thing that affects you database structure.

It is one of the riskiest thing you can do in ePO.

zade
Level 7
Message 9 of 33

Jump to solution

Thanks both, so recommendations before 'updating' these extensions is a snapshot of the virtual machine and a database backup?

Logically I'm thinking I would need to upgrade the extensions first and then checkin the new branch of VSE, is this correct?

As far as a plan goes:

1. Backup EPO database / Snapshot EPO VM

2. Update extensions via EPO

3. Check in new branch of VSE

4. Manually deploy this to selected machines to test

Let me know your thoughts

andrep1
Level 14
Message 10 of 33

Jump to solution

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Disabling master repository pull tasks is also a best practice.