cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Telemetry Service encountered a problem and needed to close

Hi,

Since upgrading from 4.6.6 to 5.1.0 I'm now getting the following error on some of our clients:

Untitled4.jpg

Why isn't this new service documented?

Anyone else come across the same issue.

I really have to say I would heavily AVOID upgrading ePO and look to do a fresh install instead as I've spent most of the last couple of weeks having to fix issues and restart services for the system to keep running. There seems to be a serious lack of testing with McAfee lately.

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

13 Replies

Re: McAfee Telemetry Service encountered a problem and needed to close

We just updated recently, got one computer so far doing this.  I'll be interested in seeing what you find.

I think you might want to look here for an explanation of Telemetry...

http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/security-management/product-improvement-program.aspx

*ALL STRICTLY MY OPINION* McAfee didn't seem to direct about annoncing this IMO.  But I came across it before and got a decent explanation.  I am thinking at some point they are going to start using some of this functionality to do a better job at controlling their licensing, but that is pure speculation on my part (and maybe a bit too much of a conspiracy theory notion).  Although, I am not against it, since as IT Security part of my job is making sure my organization doesn't violate any licensing agreements anyway.

Harris_s, you didn't post but was yours showing up on a particular OS?  So far I've got three that have cropped up and all are running XP, which I'd like to get rid of for sure, but we can't get rid of certain software yet that only runs on XP, so we can save that discussion. 

It's in Windows 2003 Server and XP that I've seen it.

I agree with Chris regarding the bundling in of more software, as soon as I upgraded ePO a large spike of network traffic occured delivering this 'unknown' software. I just put up with mcafee these days, would of thought intel buyout would have improved things, alas not!

Just found this error on another 2003 Server, it seems to be happening on x86 and x64. Is there any way to disable this 'feature'?

Going to disable the service and see what happens.

You doing that through services.msc on the affected computer?  I'm still fairly new to EPO having inherited it from my former co-worker, and tried to disable it through EPO as the info in Chris's article says but I'll be darned if I can actually accomplish that.

Yep. It's ironically called the McAfee Product Improvement Program Service, stopped it and disabled.

Still getting this error message on a majority of our 2003 servers now, is there still no fix?