Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Pre-Installation Auditor flags SQL Server Browser Service is not running

Jump to solution

We are in the process of upgrading our last ePO server from version 5.9.1 to 5.10. All other ePO servers that we upgraded were running a full version of SQL. However, this last ePO server is in a secure environment and running ePO 5.9.1 with SQL Express. The Pre-Installation Auditor is saying that the SQL Server Browser Services is not running. Under services,

I noticed that it is stopped and set for disabled and can't be enabled. Is this because it is SQL Express and is it required for the update when using SQL Express.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee Pre-Installation Auditor flags SQL Server Browser Service is not running

Jump to solution

See KB91477 regarding that message.  See also KB88000 for potential issue with it not being running and KB71825 also advises for that to be running.  I have seen some installs fail without that running.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Pre-Installation Auditor flags SQL Server Browser Service is not running

Jump to solution

The SQL Browser Service is a service that runs on a machine that has Microsoft SQL Server installed, and provides information to clients about the SQL server instances installed on the PC. When you are connecting an application to a SQL server, generally the software has the capabilities to send a broadcast query out onto the network, and detect what SQL servers are available. This is generally presented to the end user with a drop down box listing all the SQL services, and the instance names. This broadcast query doesn’t communicate to the actual SQL Server directly, but it communicates with the SQL Browser service. This means that if the SQL Browser service is stopped, no client software will be able to automatically determine that there is a SQL server running.

Even if the SQL Browser service is stopped, it doesn’t prevent users from connecting to it, as long as you know the server name, instance name, and port number.

To connect directly to a SQL server instance running on a specific port, you would use the following format:

SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME,PORTNUMBER

eg:

SQLSVR3\DEVELOPMENT,15032

When the SQL server is installed, the SQL browser service is always in disabled state and this is not because it is SQL express edition. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

See KB91477 regarding that message.  See also KB88000 for potential issue with it not being running and KB71825 also advises for that to be running.  I have seen some installs fail without that running.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community