cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor andrep1
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 19

Re: McAfee DAT Reputation not installing to clients.

Jump to solution

Maybe there is something I am misunderstanding but dat reputation is basically a feeback loop tool that enables the endpoint to check directly with Mcafee the status of a dat file: the dat file doesn't get installed if the results received is "bad dat" and in all other circumstances it installs.

It wouldn't work in a truly close environment: your endpoints (workstations/servers) need to be able to directly communicate with McAfee or through a proxy as long as you are not using Kerberos authentication to authenticate with the proxy.

So the good news, if you don't have connectivity to the outside world, is that you don't need dat reputation and that you can't use it.

Jump to solution

Andre,

I thought that would be the case also until I started monitoring our DAT versions and found that when we manually update AV SIG/DAT from [McAfee, Inc. - Downloads - Virus Protection - DAT Files] that the DAT Reputation version changed.  With that being said it seems that manually updating also validates DAT Reputation.

Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi James.

the dat reputation executable package is packaged as part of the dat file.

Trust me, I was part of the beta for dat reputation, it needs connectivity and is pretty picky about it. Dat reputation just defaults to accept the dat file if no check is available.

Jump to solution

OK Sounds like I can get rid of it then.  Thanks for all your help.

Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Jump to solution

In a way, you don't need to manage it so you don't need the epo extension but it installs as part of the dat file so you can't really fully get rid of it. It will just stay there dormant. Without connectivity, best thing to do is to disabled the product with ePO.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Auditors check our systems periodically and hold us accountable for consistent point products and version across the board.  We get "dinged" for any missing products or inconsistencies in versions.

McAfee DAT Reputation is installed on all my servers because it was packaged along with the DAT.  However, none of my workstations have received the MCDATREP1000, but they do have the most up-to-date DAT (v2).  Why are my workstations not getting the McAfee DAT Reputation installed?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 17 of 19

Jump to solution

It does not show any longer as an installed product but is included in the dat files by default.  On my system it is in this directory:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine\scanners\x86_64\datrep

There is no application plugin for it.  Technically, you can remove it from the servers as an installed product.  There is an unsupported superdat that can remove it, but you need to open an SR to get it.  I don't have any systems with that application plugin key, but if you check the servers, there may be an uninstall string in there for it.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

So, if I am able to use the unsupported tool or even manually uninstall it, won't it just come back again after the next DAT update?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 19

Jump to solution

Not as an installed product, it will just live with the dats.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center