Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenyan
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

McAfee Agents Depolyed Manually Not Seen As Managed in EPO

Hello Guys,

I am deploying the McAfee new endpoint solutions CEB (complete endpoint protection business) the client has some branch offices which were not receiving the McAfee agent when sent over the network via epo (epo 4.6, agent 4.6) we resorted to deploying these agents manuallly in the branch offices. now they are still not appearing as Managed in the epo reports despite having the agents installed manually.

Any tips, tricks of resolving this issues would be higly appriciated.

Regards.

10 Replies
ulyses31
Level 16
Message 2 of 11

Re: McAfee Agents Depolyed Manually Not Seen As Managed in EPO

Hi kenyan can these computers contact your ePO server? If you have a look at their agent log you should see if they can or not because maybe they cannot use the agent-to-server communication port

kenyan
Level 7
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for your reply...

The agent to server communication port was changed to 81 during installation of epo.

The server can ping machines. i can even login remotely to the machines using tools like Radmin & Team Viewer. if they can not use the server to agent communication port what do i need to do to reslove this. (the machines are running win xp service pack 3).

What could be the other causes and remedies for this issue?

PhilR
Level 12
Message 4 of 11

Run wireshark on one of the affected machines and look at what traffic (and port) is being sent to the ePO server.

Tristan
Level 15
Message 5 of 11

What installer did you use? The one downloaded from the McAfee website or the one genearted from within ePO?

kenyan
Level 7
Message 6 of 11

One Generated from within epo.

Hi Kenyan,

If port is changed to 81 make sure the firewall is not blocking anything in between.

Try to do the wake up agent and please check the SiteMgr.xml.

kenyan
Level 7
Message 8 of 11

Thank you all for your responses, seems the issue could be with thier VPN, the number of machines bieng managed by epo is going up it seems. the agents we deployed manually are eventually communicating with the epo server as i have seen a rise in number of computers being managed by the epo in the system tree.

Tristan
Level 15
Message 9 of 11

I believe VPNs will cause an issue will duplicate instances of machines within ePO.

One of the mechanisms used by ePO to uniquely identify a machine is the MAC address. VPN clients present a different MAC address to the network than the MAC address of the LAN/WLAN card in the computer and therefore ePO sees the computer as new and usually drops it as a duplicate in the Lost&Found in the system tree.

alexn
Level 14
Message 10 of 11

VPN clients present a different MAC address to the network than the MAC address of the LAN/WLAN card in the computer and therefore ePO sees the computer as new and usually drops it as a duplicate in the Lost&Found in the system tree.

I think in this case all clients are connected to ePO with a single VPN, if I am not wrong??

So against a VPN there is a single MAC entry in ePO DB, because ePO cant see LAN or WLAN MAC address of all machines, so all machines connected via VPN will be missing under system tree.

Tristan, is also right.single vpn against single machine .