Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Daniel_S
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 40

Re: McAfee Agent does not communicate with the ePO server

Interesting,

I can see the same thing herewith 5.0.6 but so far didn´t have a look at the services.

I´ll check that.

Did McAfee ever reply to these kind of problems officially?

Regards

Dan

Best regards
Dan
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 12 of 40

If the agent service is crashing, you are going to need to open a case with McAfee.  Here is what we would need to troubleshoot.

Set up procdump to get a process dump for when it terminates.

procdump -ma -t -w masvc.exe

When it crashes, gather the dump and a mer from the system.  The mer can be downloaded from mer.mcafee.com.  When you run it, run it as administrator and choose the McAfee agent as the product to collect for.  It is important to get the mer around same time frame of the process dump.  Have you tried completely removing the agent, reboot, and reinstall?  How many systems are affected?  What OS?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 40

Wow this is a problem that seems to be common and now you want the users to do the testing?

I get more and more frustrated with McAfee to be honest.

I have the same behavior here, the service just stops and won´t start again. all with the newest agent version.

How about McAfee doing some testing. Bad QM at all I would say. Many similar problems occured in the past and didn´t even get solved.

Cheers

Dan

Best regards
Dan
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 40

There are different reasons for the service crashing.  The only way to know specifically why yours is crashing is by a process dump and associated logs.  Many of those are environmental and we can test all day long and not be able to reproduce the same thing as what you are experiencing.  Some of it is install related, some 3rd party software, or other issues.  Kb83895 is a list of the MA 5.x known issues.  However, not every issue is listed there, as sometimes it may be a new issue we have not yet seen.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 40

Okay this is 4 people here in a new thread that all independant from each other report the same behavior.

I think we can stop blaming some ominous third party software or an unknown constellation of different programs.

Best regards
Dan
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 40

I fully understand, but we can't guess at things like this.  I have had issues like this before with several different people and each issue was different root cause.  Without data, I can only point to known issues.  If removing completely and reinstalling after a reboot doesn't fix it, then we would need data for root cause.

Was my reply helpful?

Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 40

There is no part in the known issues section related to that behavior except for a MacOS issue with High Sierra.

Best regards
Dan
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 40

Exactly, that is why we need data. 

Was my reply helpful?

Same issue happens in our account as well.More than 250PCs agent crash is happening.

I was asked to upgrade the agent from 5.5. to 5.6 and it was done.Even in the newer version,we are facing the issue.

Also i was asked to run the Procdump tool during the crash happens.It is time consuming to monitor the PC to check for the crash occurence.

Because we collected dump and MER log from the PC where the crash happened frequently.However TS said the carsh didnot happen on the day when we collected the log.So this is something difficult for us to collect the dump.

Is there any other way to determine the root cause.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 20 of 40

With procdump, you can set it to monitor for the crash

procdump -ma -t servicename

That will wait for the process to terminate and create a dump on termination.  How frequently is it crashing?  When it does create a crash dump, we would also want a corresponding mer. 

The only downside to having to wait for it to crash is that someone needs to be logged in.  You can work around that by running it as system instead of any user context.  You can use windows scheduler to set that up or psexec.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support
  • The McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in is now available in the Software Manager. Follow the instructions in the Product Guide for more.