Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sohel
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

McAfee Agent crashing intermittently

Hello,

I'm running the latest version of McAfee agent (5.6.2.209), I noticed some of my machines were MA is crashing 3-4 times daily and it's only showing in event viewer.

I'm attaching a screenshot here.

Any ideas?  

MA_Agent.jpg

12 Replies
McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 13

Re: McAfee Agent crashing intermittently

Hi Sohel,

I see that you have already opened SR with support in regards to the same. Did you manage to capture the requested logs....?

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 13

Along with the requested logs, please update what are the McAfee product installed on the client machine with build number and OS version. 

Hope we get those information for Dev to analyze. Did you recently install/upgrade any McAfee product. In meanwhile, could you please uninstall all the software including Agent, then install only Agent monitor for 24hours to see if it occurs. Incase if it does not crash, then start installing one by one until it start crashing again. I wanted to check if it is conflicting with any other McAfee product. Also have you installed any third party application (which you feel it may cause), because to be honest i have not seen this issue with latest Agent version.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 13

I am not sure what data was requested from your SR, but make sure it includes a crash dump of the process.  You can use procdump for that and you would use this command in an admin command prompt:

procdump -ma -t masvc.exe

When you run the mer tool (mer.mcafee.com), make sure to run it as administrator and choose the installed products rather than choosing all products, as that doesn't always collect the necessary info.  Make sure the mer covers same time frame as the process crashing.  To be sure you get agent logs that match the time frame, you can increase log size in the agent policy to around 40mb and rollover count to 5.  You also want to make sure it is in debug mode too.

If you have a system you can test with, test with removing all products except for the agent and see if it still crashes.  If it doesn't, then add the products back one at a time to see which one might be affecting it.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

I have seen the same problem also.  I do have a case open on the problem and it is being investigated.  Some machines the masvc services is able to restart itself.  On others I have to start the service.

dave

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 13

Hi Dave, I haven't talked to you in a while!  Hope you are well.  Please send me your case number, I would like to look at it.  You should have my email address - if not, send it in private message.

Caryn

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 13

I looked at your SR and see where you got access denied running procdump.  Please disable self protection in the agent policy temporarily while collecting data.  Also, use procdump -ma -t masvc.exe instead of -e.

Per procdump instructions, -e is for an exception (process may or may not terminate).  When it is actually terminating, we should use -t for termination.

Was my reply helpful?

Sohel
Level 10
Message 8 of 13

Thanks, I'm trying the steps now.

espon
Level 8
Message 9 of 13

Also seeing this problem and have an SR open. We have supplied memory dumps and our SR is with engineering for investigation.
Sohel
Level 10
Message 10 of 13

Great, let me know your findings. 

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community