cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Agent cannot be removed

Jump to solution

Hello

I have a Windows 2003 server I am trying to remove the McAfee Agent on. When I open a command prompt and go to C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework and run the command FrmInst.exe /remove=agent, I get the following error from both Windows Installer and McAfee Agent:

"Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable."

I have shutdown explorer.exe and then restarted it, but no luck.

What do I need to do to uninstall McAfee Agent? If the above does not work, what else will?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: McAfee Agent cannot be removed

Jump to solution

The mcafeelogs folder is located in windows\temp or in the user's temp profile, depending on how an update or install (or removal) is done - epo or locally.  See KB65863 at support.mcafee.com for manual removal instructions for the agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

5 Replies
McAfee Employee dvarnell
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi Skeating,

You might try the uninstall using the /FORCEUNINSTALL switch:

> FrmInst.exe /FORCEUNINSTALL

If that doesn't work, take a look at these articles -- they describe a similar symptom and may help:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71305

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85033

Thanks!

Jump to solution

Tried the /FORCEUNINSTALL, no love. Any idea where in the McAfee file the McAfeeLogs might be hiding? I have tried looking in Program Files, but cannot find it.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

The mcafeelogs folder is located in windows\temp or in the user's temp profile, depending on how an update or install (or removal) is done - epo or locally.  See KB65863 at support.mcafee.com for manual removal instructions for the agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

I have a system on Windows 10 1803 that I'm needing to finish running updates and get it to 1903. Something became corrupted with McAfee when it went update from an older agent, 4.8 I think.  Getting it updated to 5.6.1 has been an issue. I'm trying to fully uninstall and reinstall but having trouble getting the agent uninstalled.

I have gone to the correct folder location and ran the frminst.exe /remove=agent.  When I go to uninstall from windows apps or Programs and features, I get the error, "McAfee Agent cannot be removed because other products are still using it.

If I go back and re-run the remove command I receive the following error: "The parameter is incorrect.  [Its already in unmanaged mode and cannot be removed]".  Once I say ok to that I receive a final error, "Fatal error during installation".

Help.

McAfee Employee dvarnell
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi CheezIT,

In your situation, the forceuninstall switch above should work, but you should be sure that there are no products which rely on the Agent still on the machine, since they may not work correctly without the Agent installed.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community