cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Agent cannot be removed

Jump to solution

Hello

I have a Windows 2003 server I am trying to remove the McAfee Agent on. When I open a command prompt and go to C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework and run the command FrmInst.exe /remove=agent, I get the following error from both Windows Installer and McAfee Agent:

"Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable."

I have shutdown explorer.exe and then restarted it, but no luck.

What do I need to do to uninstall McAfee Agent? If the above does not work, what else will?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Re: McAfee Agent cannot be removed

Jump to solution

The mcafeelogs folder is located in windows\temp or in the user's temp profile, depending on how an update or install (or removal) is done - epo or locally.  See KB65863 at support.mcafee.com for manual removal instructions for the agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee dvarnell
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi Skeating,

You might try the uninstall using the /FORCEUNINSTALL switch:

> FrmInst.exe /FORCEUNINSTALL

If that doesn't work, take a look at these articles -- they describe a similar symptom and may help:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71305

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85033

Thanks!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Tried the /FORCEUNINSTALL, no love. Any idea where in the McAfee file the McAfeeLogs might be hiding? I have tried looking in Program Files, but cannot find it.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

The mcafeelogs folder is located in windows\temp or in the user's temp profile, depending on how an update or install (or removal) is done - epo or locally.  See KB65863 at support.mcafee.com for manual removal instructions for the agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator