Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arnieos
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 38

McAfee Agent Installation on VDI Systems

We have an ongoing Agent upgrade from 4.8, 5.0, to 5.6.1 hotfix 3.

Part of affected systems are VDI system. Based on this article, https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87654&locale=en_CA&viewlocale=en_CA, it requ...

37 Replies
vivs McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 38

Re: McAfee Agent Installation on VDI Systems

Hello,

Please let us know what is the issue you are facing at the moment.

As per the KB article:

McAfee Agent deployment methods
To deploy MA 5.x in VDI mode, use the following command (or add these switches to a deployment task that upgrades the agent): 
framepkg.exe /Install=agent /enableVDImode

To install McAfee Agent 5.0.x using a URL, the command is:
McAfeeSmartInstall.exe -v

IMPORTANT: 
  • Install switches are not used during the McAfee Agent deployment unless it is being upgraded. You can't convert McAfee Agent to VDI using an Assigned Client Task if the version installed is the same as the version being deployed. The framepkg.exe and McAfeeSmartInstall.exe methods listed above can be used to convert an installed agent to VDI mode (5.x and later).
  • Frminst.exe does not convert an installed agent to VDIMode.
  • If you upgrade McAfee Agent using either the framepkg.exe file or an ePO task with no switches, VDI mode is removed from the agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

arnieos
Level 9
Message 3 of 38

Hello Vivs,

Thanks for your response. It looks like my post was not posted completely. My question is, is the article also applicable for Citrix Xenapp and Citrix PVS? Do they also need special deployment?

Thanks for the help. 

LKS McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 38

Hi arnieos,

An agent installation method on virtual operating system is same for Citrix Xenapp. You have to ensure you use the below switch to enable VDI mode. 

Agent Deployment

framepkg.exe /Install=agent /enableVDImode

Smart installer
McAfeeSmartInstall.exe -v

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a soultion" if this reply resolves your query!
cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 38

Just to be clear on vdi mode, it is only required if the systems are non-persistent.  If they are persistent vm's, then don't use vdi mode.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

arnieos
Level 9
Message 6 of 38

I see. So I have to verify with our Citrix team to know which systems are non-persistent? And to make sure, is it applicable for Citrix Xenapp and Citrix PVS? 

Thanks.

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 38

Yes, it is applicable to those platforms.  The whole purpose of vdi is for systems that are non-persistent so each time they are reimaged, it doesn't create duplicates in the system tree.  The only caveat to that is that they have to be properly shut down.  The agent has to receive a shutdown command from the OS, and when it does, it has to have the time to send an uninstall command to epo so the agent is deprovisioned.  When that is done properly, when the system is brought up as a new system again, then epo will re-use that same agent guid and not create a new duplicate system.  

If the system is shut down any other way, such as a hard reset, where that deprovision doesn't happen, then you will still get duplicates.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

arnieos
Level 9
Message 8 of 38

Hi cdinet, thanks for the detailed explanation. Say we deploy the agent to non-persistent systems, is there a way in ePO to determine if the agent is indeed on VDI mode? 

LKS McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 38

yes you can. Select the target machine and goto properties and verify if VDI mode is set to yes.

VDI.PNG

Hi LKS1, thanks for the response. So this command "framepkg.exe /Install=agent /enableVDImode" can be run on CMD on the local server right? And if the server has 4.8 Agent, it will overwrite it? Or I need to uninstall it first before installing the new Agent?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community