cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Agent Event ID 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error"

Bonjour ,
Comment je peux connaitre la cause de l’échec a partir du fichier Mcscript.log ?

Re: McAfee Agent Event ID 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error"

Bonjour , 

Le problème est présent même sur la version d'agent 5.0.6 ... 

Toujours pas de solution sur ce problème 2402 !!! 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 23 of 26

Please open a ticket with McAfee, as we are going to need to look at logs from the client to see what the errors are for the failures.  We will need a mer from the client - mer.mcafee.com.  When you run the mer, please be sure to right-click and run as administrator and also instead of choosing all products, select the installed products individually, including the mcafee agent. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hello , 

Je peux pas le faire moi même ? 

Comment je peux connaitre la cause a partir de Mcscript.log ? 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 25 of 26

Dat updates are controlled by the agent. Here is how the update process works.

1. The agent invokes the task, which invokes the mcscript engine. This can either succeed or fail.       In your case, from the masvc lot you sent, the agent is not invoking tasks, not even any internal ones that should be invoking. Therefore, something is corrupt on that agent and it needs to be reinstalled completely or upgraded.
  2. Assuming the task invoked properly, the agent then reaches out to a repository for the catalog.z to find what products are available on that repository. This process can either succeed or fail for various reasons. Repository is not reachable, it is out of date, network issues, timeouts, or repository not functional.
  3. Once it downloads the files, one of the first things it does is download and run a detection script for the products involved in the update. For example, if the task is set to update amcore content, then it will search for installed products that use that content and determine whether the point product is responding or not. This part can succeed or fail. If it fails, then either the point product is not installed, not functional, or not responding to the agent query. So then the update will fail.
  4. Once it gets all the required files, it will then notify the point products of the available updates so they can be applied. If the point product isn’t functioning properly, it may not be able to apply them. In the case of deployments instead of updates, once the required files are downloaded, then the setup is passed off to msiexec and the agent part is done. Then it is a point product issue and you would need to look at install logs.  Updates are almost entirely an agent process.

Bottom line, the system you got those logs from have a broken agent and it needs either reinstalled with a forceinstall, removed/reinstalled, or upgraded to newer version. I don’t know what version you are running, but I would suggest upgrading to the latest if possible – it all depends on your environment and point product versions. KB51109 is the master kb article for supported environments for our products (support.mcafee.com). You can check product compatibility there.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

This 'broken agent' theme is becoming a bit of a 'stuck record'. I look at individual machine compliance most days around the world and it is enormously frustrating to not be able to identify causes. It seems that each product release breaks something and we are perpetually re-installing. Each time I ask  support 'why' we tend to go back to 'support dont do 'whys' and are just there to do fixes'. We are now also in the realms where the ERP needs a reboot and reboots are always 'suggested' after any product install. Never any real proof behind why. I also suspect that P12 is doing some damage to agents, potentially related to the installation of Msoft Visual C++, which can also unceremoniously reboot the machine. Again, McAfee deny all responsibility for this. My 'flavour of the month' fix is to script the removal of the agent and a reinstall in an EEDK package. This is pretty successful, but limited to domain based machines that can grab the required files from a UNC share. I have tried asking how I can get the files from HTTP and run them in a script (just like the McAfee installs do), but got no help again from support. Hair falling out all the more every day.....................

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community