cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Agent Event ID 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error"

I may have spoken too soon, but I have multiple issues so maybe a particular one was not fixed. We are in the middle of a large scale migration from ePO 4.6, agent 4.8. various other products and old patches....we have various circumstances where agents are not running tasks. We know why in some cases, but the new agent has drawn my attention to another issue I had not registered. The deploy does a great thing - it restarts the agent service. I noticed then in the agent logs that some tasks were 'freed'. I looked and we had a client task running with no time limit (oops). I think this must have been failing on many machines and preventing other tasks from running. Because many users don't reboot these days, this just remained a problem on the machine (this was a huge problem with agent 4.8 on windows 10 and we have been forced, not before time, to apply a global, enforced reboot policy with SCCM.) Re-installation of agent or product did not fix as they did not restart the requisite services.

I am not convinced it has fixed everything, but agent 5.0.6 now gets a thumbs up from me! And of course, pushing out from ePO has its own issues, in that many of those tasks never time out, but I prefer the situation I am in now!

Re: McAfee Agent Event ID 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error"

I have experienced this same issue and worked it to many depths. Unofficially, I can tell you to go back to the 5.0.2 agent

Bonjour a tous ,
J'ai eu le même problème avec plusieurs clients ,
Échec mise a jours , je veux savoir il vient d'ou le problème de l'ID 2402 .
je suis sur que c'est de la version de l'agent .
Vous avez une idée ?
Merci a vous
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 14 of 26

If updates are failing, the first place to look is the masvc log located at c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs. 

That log will tell you what task was invoked and when.

Then you go to the mcscript log.  That is the main log that will tell you the cause of the failure.  It can fail with not able to reach a repository or other errors.  There are various causes for update failures.  One thing to check, depending on agent version, is if the agent general policy has peer to peer enabled.  If so, disable that and try the update again after the client gets the policy change to see if it makes a difference.  That issue is fixed in the 5.6 agent.  If you can't find cause, then you might want to open a ticket with McAfee so we can assist further.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Merci pour votre retour ,
Dans ce cas il faut prend la main sur le pc de client ?
Y'as pas autre méthode pour trouver le problème il vient d'ou de l’échec de la mise a jour a partir de la console EPO McAfee ?
Merci d'avance
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 26

From the epo console, you can select that system, then go to view agent log and then choose the specific logs.  That way you don't have to physically access that system.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Merci encore pour votre retour ,
Comment je peux savoir l’échec de mise a jour vient de quelle produit exactement (Agent McAfee , VSC OU DAT ?

Pardon ,
je vais dire VSE (VirusScan Entreprise) ?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 26

The agent is the one that controls the scheduling and running of tasks and updating the products, whether it is deployment or update.  The masvc log will show you when it ran the task and what specific task it ran, but the mcscript log will show you the update process - which repository it used, whether it was able to get files from the repository or not, and whether it failed or succeeded.  That is the most informative log for update failures.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted

ACCEPTER
merci beaucoup
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community