cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee Agent Event ID 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error"

Hello,

we currently see the following events in our log and don't know why.

There is a scheduled update task which runs every day and should update all packages.

The task works fine when updating the DAT package to a newer version but seems to fail for the McAfee Agent itself. There is no newer version of the McAfee Agent, but why is there an error event logged?

The event is:

Event ID: 2402

Product Code: McAfee Agent

Error Type: Update

Error Code: Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator: 5.1.3

McAfee Agent Version: 5.0.4.283

We couldn't find anything in the logs ( C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\logs ) and appreciate every hint on where to look for the problem.

Greetings

Fabian

25 Replies
Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 26

Re: McAfee Agent Event ID 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error"

Have you reviewed the logs in the %temp%\McAfeeLogs

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/24000/PD24809/en_US/...

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers

Re: McAfee Agent Event ID 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error"

Hi, Did you ever find a solution to this?  I am experiencing the same exact issue in my environment. 

hi,

I have same problem. moreover, many clients have same problem. I get 2402  and failed update errors. How can I handle it?,

regards.

Also seeing the same issue in our environment

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 26

There are a several of failure points for issues like this.

1. Inability to get files from epo or the repository

2. other local install failure issues due to point product issues

3. possible remnants of other versions where detection scripts fail to determine the correct version

4. tasks fail to invoke

5. and others as determined by errors in logs

The mcscript logs will show any issues with repositories or downloading necessary files and failures with the detection scripts.  Once the files are downloaded and setup, in the case of deployments, is invoked, that is handed off to MSIEXEC and product patch or full deployments will be logged in the windows\temp\mcafeelogs directory for any failures.

For update failures, such as dats/content, mcscript log is the one to look at for those.  Sometimes the logs need to be in debug mode to really determine failure point (see kb82170).

For tasks failing to invoke,

If you can't determine the failure from those logs, then you can always open a ticket with support.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 26

For tasks failing to invoke, there are known scheduling issues with the 5.x agents.  I would suggest testing with the 5.0.6 agent.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hello, some feedback on this problem.

I worked for a client with over 70,000 plus agents that experienced this problem. Each day, about 10 to 20 percent of systems would not update.

I tried only partially successfully tricks to make the clients have another repository policy. The problems occurs with varous versions of the 5.0.X agent. Reboots, force agent installs, and other methods did not prove successful.

I opened a support case and even in debug mode we could not solve or narrow down this problem.

The 5.0.6.220 agent was tested and was confirmed to fix the problem. After a test period, I began deployment and finished full deployment to workstations in August of 2017.

The following were my observations:

1) Increased reliability of updating normally. Dramatic reduction in 2402 "Deployment/Update process encountered an unknown error".

2) Some previously outdated systems were able to update their DAT once upgraded to 5.0.6.

3) A few previously systems stuck on VSE 8.8 P5,6, or 7 updated to P8 once on MA 5.0.6

4) Some previously unprotected systems deploy assigned VSE Install task once on MA 5.0.6

5) A return to some sanity

Note: This environment was EPO 5.3.2, VSE patches 5 to 9, HIPS 8 Patches 5 to 9.

Bottom Line. My experience with the 5.0.6.220 agent was very positive. Please test to ensure there are no issues with other products/versions of EPO.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I am still seeing this with agent 5.0.6. Mcafee as yet unable to explain....

boschind
Level 10
Message 10 of 26

hello Andrew, with a couple of customer we have we are still at MA 5.0.5 and still planning to go 5.0.6 . i'm ... not ... glad to hear that from u 😞

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community