cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Agent Cannot Be Removed...

Hi,

I am trying to manually uninstall McAfee Agent from a client machine due to a fault i am trying to resolve.

Unfortunately, i keep getting the error "mcafee agent cannot be removed because other products are still using it."

Even after i uninstalled all other McAfee products and stop/disable all the McAfee Framework Services, i still get the same error back.

I have read a couple of articles that say this can be caused by upgrading an existing agent, but this is a brand new system that has not had any previous version installed on it.
6 Replies

RE: McAfee Agent Cannot Be Removed...

Did you try:

frminst /forceuninstall

reg, Henno

if you had VSE on the machine previous, and "protect mcafee servcies" was on, you would have to reinstall VSE again, turn off the protection, then remove VSE and then the agent.

I solved the issue by deleting this part of the registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Network Associates and
HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee

If this machine is managed by an ePO server you fist need to do a frminst /remove=agent and then use the normal procedure to uninstall (or use directly a /forceuninstall as HennoKeers said)

Re: RE: McAfee Agent Cannot Be Removed...

Removing the registry entries worked!  Thanks so much!

Re: McAfee Agent Cannot Be Removed...

I am also getting this on one machine.  I have tried to remove the agent and this is when I get the error.  It will not remove the agent.  I have tried to un/reinstall mcafee and the suggested removal instructions in this post.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  Should we do delete from registry?