cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Agent Backwards Compatibility Service

Hello All,

Just looking for some documentation of the Backwards Compatibility Service that gets installed with the McAfee Agent. We are running agent 5.0.2.132 with HIPS 8.0 Patch 6 and VSE 8.8.0.1445 Patch 6. I think this service is for older agents to be able to communicate to a new 5 ePO but can't seem to get concrete documentation on this. I want to uninstall this service or disable because it is eating up a substantial amount of CPU on all of our virtual desktops with or without anyone logged in. This service has no effect over HIPs or VSE from what I can gather, but want to make sure before pulling it. Let me know, thanks...

7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAfee Agent Backwards Compatibility Service

Moved provisionally to ePO for faster responses.

---

Peter

andrep1
Level 14
Message 3 of 8

check out the recent release notes on agent 5.0.2, I think there is a memory leak issue.

5.0.3 is coming soon

I just want to know if its a need product for run HIPs or VSE. If not I will remove it. What is the backwards compatibility looking for just older agents?

andrep1
Level 14
Message 5 of 8

Sorry, don't know the details other that it is for for McAfee software that is not agent 5.0 fully compatible.

I also don't know if it is a good idea to remove the service.

This me be a time to raise an SR with mcafee, http://support.mcafee.com

tomz2
Level 11
Message 6 of 8

The backwards compatibility service is most definitely a required service. If you are seeing issues with this service, open a case with support.

Thanks for your repsonse tomz...but explain to me what its definitely needed for. If you are running the latest and greatest products why would u need to have backwards compatibility?

tomz2
Level 11
Message 8 of 8

Depends on what you define as "latest and greatest." :-)

Even though you may be using the latest and greatest versions of point products such as VSE and HIPS, those products communicate with the McAfee Agent in very specific ways. McAfee Agent 5.x introduces a new communications architecture that new products will take advantage of, however for existing products, the backwards compatibility service is what allows them to communicate with the McAfee Agent correctly.

Bottom line, don't disable it. If you're seeing issues, open a support case. Gathering diagnostic data is the only way Intel Security can determine if there is a bug in the code that is leading to the performance issues or if its a policy issue, etc.