Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qgudex
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

McAfee Agent 4.6 vs 4.8

We currently run EPO 4.6.6 and McAfee Agent 4.6.

I recently started looking into patching our McAfee agents with patch 3, when I received notice that I should actually install the extensions for MA 4.8 due to a security vulnerability.  Should I just push agent 4.8 instead?  What are the differences between the two and which, if any, is better for EPO 4.6.6?

9 Replies

Re: McAfee Agent 4.6 vs 4.8

qgudex
Level 7
Message 3 of 10

essarkay, I undersand that the 4.8 extension should be installed (I've already done this, actually).  My question is "should patch my 4.6 agents to p3, or upgrade them to the 4.8 agent?"  I'm unable to find any resources explaining the difference between the agents:  functionality, compatibility with other McAfee products, etc.

The KB says that there is a vulnerability in 4.6 RTM-P3. It means that u got to upgrade to v4.8.

Difference between 4.6 annd 4.8 can be found in 4.8 release notes.

4.8 supported products is available here https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51573

In the above link supported OS for 4.6 and 4.8 are similar.

qgudex
Level 7
Message 5 of 10

The KB says that the vulnerability is in the Extension for 4.5 and 4.6, not the agent itself.  I understand the recommended remediation to mean that installing the 4.8 Extension alone is sufficient.

pierce
Level 13
Message 6 of 10

I plan to just upgrade the management extension here as per the documents.

The 4.8 agent is still new for my liking, ill give it another few weeks before testing.

qgudex
Level 7
Message 7 of 10

pierce, I'm leaning the same way.  I think I'm going to stick with agent 4.6.3 and extension 4.8.

pierce
Level 13
Message 8 of 10

All upgraded now with new extensions and everything working as expected.

A few users are going to test the new agent so its checked into eval, give them a few weeks and if thats all running fine might try some bigger deployments, but no rush at the moment with all the VSE and HIPS hotfixes and DLP patches i need to deploy!

Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Will be upgrading to the 4.8 extension tomorrow to close this security vulnerability. It is too soon for me to actually want to upgrade to the 4.8 agent. My policy is to wait for the first agent patch to come out before deploying newer agents.

Have been testing the 4.8 agent alongside the 4.6 agent on our test ePO server with no apparent issues.

Will migrate people to the 4.8 agent when we get closer to migrate to ePO 5.0.

Highlighted
qgudex
Level 7
Message 10 of 10

We've been running the 4.8 extension with our 4.6 agents for about a week now, no issues.  We've started slowly rolling out patch 3 for the 4.6 agents as well.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator