cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: McAfee Agent 4.0 released

Just being nosey here because this sounds interesting, but what exactly are you guys trying to do, and is it something that could not be done with the previous version?
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 22 of 30

One of the big selling points to the agent v4.xx was that it would support MSI installs. This would allow you to install the agent via for instance AD without having to play about creating your own non standard msi installers. It also means you can uninstall the agent via add remove programs or use scripted msiexec to autouninstall the agent.

They have provided the MSI, but no supporting documentation on how to use it (set options etc etc)
Highlighted

Cheers Tony.

So we could make sure all machines have the latest agent simply by using GPO and this MSI method? How's that done then? Obviously you can't give me specifics since there's no docs to follow but a rough guide would be good. I can then look into it for myself.

Cheers.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 24 of 30

there are too many undocumented functions to make any real guess...

How do you set install locations, epo servers .. you need a switch reference

also how do you deal with previous verions which dont support MSI and would need to be removed.. can you use a forced install to remove them.. whats the syntax??

The MSI does have the standard MS switches ref if you run it with /? but this is not the bit I need to know to make a script to use it, I need the Mcafee specific settings relating to the EPO install.

How come i still only see the 3.6 version still? no sign of 4.0 in my view... sad
gmc_za
Level 8
Message 26 of 30

Don't think I"ll be deploying this just yet - looks like there's already a few problems with it.

Document ID: 615002

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=615002&sliceI...
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 27 of 30

In the general software downloads bit (under your grant number) its down as mcafee agent not commnon management agent... just toi make the hunt for it a bit more interesting
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 28 of 30

There isnt anything there apart from the access protection issue that worried me at all (and it was easily resolvable), I havnt had this issue though on the EPO server I rolled agent 4 with.
Im still waiting a few weeks before I hit my core EPO though.

MSI Not supported

Well, I read all this and thought great, maybe I can work this out... Then I read this....
https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=6157
Not supported?!?
Then I found this, looks like we need to wait for a patch at the very least...
https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/dynamickc.do?sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forward=nonthr...

Anybody sucessfully repacked the framepkg file and rolled out via GP? What program did you use?
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 30 of 30

RE: MSI Not supported

Well that explains why they still havent released any documentation on the official switches to use with the MSI.

Typical
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community