cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: McAfee Agent 4.0 Patch 2 issue

McAfee decided to remove the ability to embed credentials in Patch 2 of MA. ePO 4 still lets you create the package with embeded creds, however, when you try to install you get the mentioned error. If you create your package with no creds and install as a local admin user (or system user via startup script) it works fine. You have to open a case and have it escalated to tier3 to get a special package that allows embeded creds. (I just received mine today)

The readme is convoluted in that it says it's a resovled issue...this wasn't an issue in patch 1 but has showed up in patch 2. They should have made it clear that patch 2 no longer allows creds to be included.

It may be a good idea from a security standpoint but would have been a better idea to let us know.

Getting hold of the patch

Don't be suprised if Technical Support know nothing about this and try to get you to run MERS to get it escalated to Tier3 to get the patch. Those with less than platinum support please breathe deeply before calling.........:eek:

Getting the patch Mark II

Have just hung up on Indian McAfee GOLD support after 30 minutes of insane babble and stupid questions. Am now trying to get it via my account manager. I sense that I don't actually really need it, as I can probably use blank credentials, but there is a principle here......

You're scaring me now - seriously - have you logged any of these issues with McAfee Support ?

JIm

Yes, call logged, MER tool results sent, awaiting response.

Thanks David 🙂

Jim
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 17 of 28

its a bit of a joke as they actually say in the KB that you dont need MER for this issue just quote the KB.. I really hate having to go through Tier I/II.

Contact McAfee Technical Support and reference this article number to request the limited distribution package, MA400P2Win_EMBEDDED.zip, which allows the use of embedded credentials. For security reasons, this version of the agent installation package is only available as an escalation.

NOTE: Minimum Escalation Requirements tool results are not required to escalate a case for this issue.

Although it would probably still annoy peeople, they could have just made a warning message appear when you make a package with embeded credentials, suggesting you don't, then leave the user to decide if they want to take the security risk or not.

Having the choice for this would have been good, rather than having to get some extra software etc.

Getting hold of the embedded patch agent 4.2_embedded

Agree, why does the EPO lets you create the framepkg.exe if it is no longer working with credentials.

I also was asked to give mer tool results which we cannot do due to security restrictions.
So i said that there is no need for a mer tool because they already know what the issue is and have produced an agent with a fix...

Still have to await a contact from Tier ll/lll tomorrow before i can get the download!

Am going to put the case to my company that platinum support is vital as we stopped using it recently and the difference in support is massive.

One phone call would have sorted this all out under platinum and no waiting on the phone for an hour before some picks up the line.

Will update when i have more news.

RE: Getting hold of the embedded patch agent 4.2_embedded

Interesting - whilst Platinum was definitely better than Gold Support I never found it "that" impressive.... also aren't there now two levels of Platinum ?

Unfortunately I don't get to see the actual cost differential for the various support service levels available - anyone got the "list prices" handy ?

Jim
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community