Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tubez
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Manually Assigned Tags Clearing from VMs

I have a bit of an issue with tags disappearing from VMs only.  I have a ticket open (for quite a while now), but thought I'd ask here as well.

Symptom:

Manually assign a tag for a CWS managed VM.  Within a day, the tag is removed from the VM.

Suspected Cause:

It looks like only virtual machines are being deleted and then re-added to ePO.  Physical desktops and servers are fine.  In the ePO Audit Log, I see entries like these:

"ASCI - Non-matching GUID"

"Active Directory Sync - Adding systems" and the systems are always Virtual Machines

Has anyone else seen this behavior or know where to look to diagnose?

2 Replies
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: Manually Assigned Tags Clearing from VMs

Hi tubez,

Are the systems 'deleted' and/or renewed daily?

The audit log reporting 'Non-matching GUID' suggests ePO sees a 'new' device and so creates a new entry for the system.

Can we see a section of audit log filtered on one such device(name) along side the server log from the ePO server showing the interaction when that device connects home?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 3

Re: Manually Assigned Tags Clearing from VMs

Are these systems non-persistent vm's that get reimaged frequently?  If so, you will need to install the agent in vdi mode.  If it is already installed in vdi mode, then how are the systems being shut down?  In vdi mode, it requires the system to be shut down the normal shutdown process, so that the agent gets the shutdown command from the OS.  If systems are just hard reset, then the agent does not get a shutdown command and it is unable to deprovision itself properly.

The other thing to look at is how these systems are hosted.  If on a Unix type host, it doesn't behave the same as vmware does in the fact that it uses zones and doesn't assign individual mac addresses to the systems, but uses the mac of the host. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.