cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Manage multiple extra.dat

Hello Community

I have the challenge to manage different Extra.dat file for different clients. 

I have one ePO Server Version 5.9.1 and get combined Extra.dat file to check in. Now I have the challenge that some client need get a different Extra.dat file

My idea is, that I will create a separate tree for these systems. 

My issue is, how to deploy the right Extra.dat file to the right clients?

Does anyone have a similar situation and can give me some tips?

Thank you,

Sascha

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator

5 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Manage multiple extra.dat

Hello @SaschaM 

Thanks for you post.

If you are going to create multiple sub-groups like A,B and C and based on these groups you want to deploy the Extra.Dat, If yes plese create a separate task for every group and assign the task.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Combined Extra DAT should take care of the issue. It will not cause any issue on machine if doesn't have infection.

Highlighted

Dear @vivs 

Thank you for your response.

I created a new task with the same settings as my default one and linked this one only to the specific subgroup. This worked so far. When I want to check in a Extra.dat file I cannot choose any task. 

Is it possible to choose the task? It is very important, that only one specific group gets another Extra.dat file.

I attached a screenshot.

Thank you very much,

Sascha

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Hello @SaschaM 

Thanks for your response.

Yes, you can check only one ED in one branch.

Like you mentioned that you have multiple ED's in that case try checking in different branches like Previous or Evaluation.

Once the ED will get checked in Previous or Evaluation in that case you need to modify the policies as well from McAfee Agent>General>Updates (Tab) and from bottom you need to change the branch.

EDC.PNG

All the ExtraDat are valid for only 30 Days.

Also you can try using TAG but in TAG you need to define machines such IP or OS basically you need to provide properties.

Generally, Extra Dats will gets added in Regular DAT in one wee or so, Sometime this takes more than a week as well.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

It's going to sound obvious but the trick is knowing how to identify which machines need which extra.dat.

Are they all one OS, product versions or sharing some other common factors ? Perhaps they are all in one system tree group or location.

Once identified you can perhaps make a tag for them, and once tagged you can apply tasks appropriately.

Still, maybe it would be easier to ask for an extra.dat that contains all required detections for all machines ? If that's possible, or have McAfee Labs said otherwise ?

Just a thought 🙂

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community