cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL 2005 Maintenance Plan and ePO Databases backup ?

The recommended maintenance plan for ePO 4.0/4.5 database using SQL Server Management Studio based on  the maintenance plan KB

found on this link

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67184

suggests backing up only the ePO database  what I reakized that didn include the master or msdb database backup while its recommended by microsoft  to backup that database

Whats the point of backing up the ePO database through maintenance plan without backing up the maste  or the msdb database ? Is there any rational on this ?

4 Replies

Re: MSSQL 2005 Maintenance Plan and ePO Databases backup ?

Highlighted
Tristan
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 5

I think McAfee are assuming that if your running MSSQL 2005 (full version not express) then your IT dept would already have a full server backup procedure in place and therefore wouldn't cover it in the KB

But should we have back up for the master and msdb  it simply checking the those dbs with in that maintenance plan they created  which on my view probably what  constitutes the difference between full recovery model and simple recovery model  may  be ?

I think the concerns based on the McAfee kb is backing up the transcation logs for all databases which may consume the disk space correct  and also add some overhead for backing up those logs and moving them out the ePO server disk space correct ?

Message was edited by: allamiro on 8/5/11 10:24:54 AM CDT
McAfee Employee spamidi
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

You do need to backup the system databases on a regular basis - that is always a good idea. However, the KB article is focused on ePO database and not SQL Server in general.

Microsoft's recommendations in those case will therefore apply.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community