Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
apoling
Level 14

MA 4.5: "Show agent icon" issue

Jump to solution

Hello,

we are bulding a new ePO 4.5 infrastructure beside an existing ePO 4 P6 infrastructure. The new ePO 4.5 system has a McAfee Agent policy to show the agent icon (in the old system we do not allow showing it).

We deployed the MA 4.5 agent to the ePO 4.5 server; as soon as it has deployed, the new MA icon displayed.

We test migrated the management server agent to the existing ePO structure by:

- importing security keys from the old ePO server

- importing sitelist.xml from the old ePO server

- placed these in a temp folder on the new ePO server and issued a "frminst.exe install=agent siteinfo=(path to imported sitelist)

We could see that the re-direction worked, the MA on the new ePO server has been redirected to the old ePO server, and accordingly, the new MA icon disappeared leaving the VirusScan icon behind (just as we expected).

Then we again migrated the agent back to the new ePO server, by executing the same logic as described above, only with data from the new ePO server (keys, sitelist, etc.)

Again, the agent has been redirected to the place it used to be before. However, the MA agent icon did not again show (and were not shown ever since).

/I know this is crazy to do this kind of migration test on the management server agent, but anyway, this is what we did./

I changed to loglevel 8 to see if there are any problems with policy enforcement, but  there weren't any errors in agent log. Tried to find the regkey that controls this setting but found none.

I thank for any useful advice in advance.

Attila

Message was edited by: Attila Polinger on 6/8/10 2:37:22 PM CEST
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: MA 4.5: "Show agent icon" issue

Jump to solution

Okay, here's what's going on:

2010-06-09 08:25:09    I    #11728    UsrSpCt    Try to Launch UdaterUI Again
2010-06-09 08:25:09    I    #11728    UsrSpCt    UpdaterUI won't be launched for Terminal Services client session (sessionID=2)

The agent thinks you're logged on in session 2 - i.e. not a console session. Other than that everything looks OK.

Can I suggest you either definitely confirm you're the only console session accessing the server, or  - probably easier - use a different machine to test with (one that's not a terminal server  -a workstation, for example) ?

HTH -

Joe

0 Kudos
8 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

I think you've broken the timestamp chain by doing this - the ePO 4.5 server thinks that the agent is up to date and so does not send the policy again.

Try modifying the policy object for the agent: set it to hide the icon, click save, then set it to display the icon again and click save again: this will update the timestamp on the policy without actually changing anything. Then wake the agent up again - does the icon display correctly?

HTH -

Joe

0 Kudos
apoling
Level 14

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

thank you for the fast answer.

I did exactly as you told me, but the agent icon did not appear. I can see that the agent has downloaded a new polic package and enforced it, yet nothing changed.

Shall I delete the node from the directory and wait until it gets recreated?

Attila

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hm, that shouldn't be necessary at this point...

Have you searched the directory for duplicates? It's possible that moving the machine between servers has created a new entry for it under lost and found, for example.

Also - is UdaterUI running?  If not, try logging off and logging on again.

Are you accessing the server via an RDP session? The icon will only be displayed in a console session on terminal servers.

HTH -

Joe

0 Kudos
apoling
Level 14

Jump to solution

Hi,

Running a query for duplicates does not bring up any hosts (Besides, this new system is currently being - gradually - populated, now it has only some 10-20 hosts altogether: should not have been any duplicates)

I logged off from the session, because UDaterUI was not among the running processes (for all users). With newly logged on, UDaterUI is again not among the running processes.

I use an RDP session with a /console option to access the ePO server.

Attila

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Can you post the agent log?

Thanks -

Joe

0 Kudos
apoling
Level 14

Jump to solution

Yes, here you are.

Attila.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Okay, here's what's going on:

2010-06-09 08:25:09    I    #11728    UsrSpCt    Try to Launch UdaterUI Again
2010-06-09 08:25:09    I    #11728    UsrSpCt    UpdaterUI won't be launched for Terminal Services client session (sessionID=2)

The agent thinks you're logged on in session 2 - i.e. not a console session. Other than that everything looks OK.

Can I suggest you either definitely confirm you're the only console session accessing the server, or  - probably easier - use a different machine to test with (one that's not a terminal server  -a workstation, for example) ?

HTH -

Joe

0 Kudos
apoling
Level 14

Jump to solution

Hi,

well it must be the reason what you mentioned. Interestingly, when I am the only one logged in to that server, I still am not registered as console user but an nth connection.

Anyway, thank you for the answer.

Attila

0 Kudos