cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep having to "sort" the system tree of computers

Hello,

I have put all our computers into folders using Tags based on their IP range.  Every day I seem to have to go to "My Organisation" in the "System Tree" view highlight all the systems/computers and then Action > Directory Management > Sort Now.

For example our HQ folder should have 500 PC's in there, this morning it has 98, I run the above and they all appear again.

Please advise.

8 Replies

Re: Keep having to "sort" the system tree of computers

When you say "using Tags based on their IP range" What do you actually meen?

Have you created tags that are based on IP address ranges, then the tag gets assigned to the machine and then you apply tag filtering to groups?

- Or do you mean that you just sort the groups according to IP ranges using the sorting criteria?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 9

I would check the Server Settings for "System Tree Sorting". Make sure it's set to "Sort systems on each agent-to-server communication".

Hi

"Have you created tags that are based on IP address ranges, then the tag gets assigned to the machine and then you apply tag filtering to groups?" is what I do.

Where do I check this setting, I've looked uder the 4.5 agent settings and can't find this.

Thanks

To be honest, it would be a lot easier if you didnt use tags. Just assign the IP address ranges to the groups instead(using sorting critera in the groups section)

"Where do I check this setting, I've looked uder the 4.5 agent settings and can't find this." I am not sure what you are refering to here.

The setting is in:

Configuration>Server Settings>System Tree sorting

By default it is only set to sort once, changing this will probably solve the problem. In all honesty though if you are using IP ranges I would go with Challiwags suggestion

System Tree>Group details>Sorting Criteria.

Sort by IP range rather than tag, It just seems to be more reliable.

Configuration>Server Settings>System Tree sorting is enabel on agent to server, so I guess not using tags is the best way forward as you are right this is a little buggy.

Yep, always my recommendation.

I don;t suppose you fancy granting me my first points for an answer or an assist?

Thanks!

Hmm, would you beleive it the sort view still has issues using the new method.  Looking on the dashboard this morning 80% of devices are in "My Organisation".