cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to pull ePO Data directly from the Database?

Jump to solution

I'm looking for a means of pulling (read only) ePO data into IBM Cognos, in order to create a centralized reporting location for executives to view the status of the enterprise.

Would this in any way result in our ePO installation being unsupported?

Is documentation available on the structure of the database, so that I don't need to reinvent the wheel?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it possible to pull ePO Data directly from the Database?

Jump to solution

There's also an easy way to take a peek "under the hood".

If you only want to fetch data that is also available in ePO you can create a query in ePO, save it and open the details for the query. Then in the Actions menu click on View SQL.

Only problem I have with this approach is that DAT versions are "hardcoded" in the exported SQL query, and I can't find a table in the database that holds a history of DAT files. For example if I want to know if a laptop had a DAT file not older than 2 days at the time it last communicated with ePO.

10 Replies

Jump to solution

Just curious what the reason is for not using the built in reports feature in epo?  You should be able to build just the reports you want, assign report viewer privileges, and even email reports directly to people.

Jump to solution

The data needs to be combined with data from other monitoring systems for a centralized reporting system.

Jump to solution

That's reasonable.  I'm going to be no help here, I was just wondering.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi...

Please open a case with Support, requesting the DB schema. We ask people to tell us why they want it, which lets us know if there's a feature missing - but from what you describe I don't see there being any problem.

Regards -

Joe

Jump to solution

Thanks Joe!

andrep1
Level 14
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Depending on the data you are looking for, you might simplify your life by genrating the datamart directly in ePO then potentially just extracting and loading the data in your cognos mart... without doing much or any transformation.

McAfee has developped a feature for one of their large client called Roll-up reporting. While not all products support it, it might be perfect for your need as it flattens the data for reporting. You can even roll-up the data from a server onto itself and that can be scheduled on the ePO server as an ePO server task. With the registered executable feature, you could potentially kick off the data load from the ePO server. @JoeBidgood might chime in here, but I think the schema for roll-up reporting is much more stable that the rest of the database schema.

Jump to solution

I am currently obtaining this info manually.  However, roll-up reporting most likely not satisfy our needs, as we need much higher detail than that.

Thanks for the suggestion though Andre!

andrep1
Level 14
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Rollup up reporting has gotten much better in the last versions. It covers most of the bases: system, threat events, product config. I found, that from our perspective, the main thing it lack is the ability to secure the data through the system tree. We would have to secure it with cognos itself, in the package.

If you ever build a framework package in cognos that is generic enough, it would be great if you shared it. Might make my life much easier!

Jump to solution

There's also an easy way to take a peek "under the hood".

If you only want to fetch data that is also available in ePO you can create a query in ePO, save it and open the details for the query. Then in the Actions menu click on View SQL.

Only problem I have with this approach is that DAT versions are "hardcoded" in the exported SQL query, and I can't find a table in the database that holds a history of DAT files. For example if I want to know if a laptop had a DAT file not older than 2 days at the time it last communicated with ePO.