cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Mcafee offering complete access protection?

Jump to solution

Hi,

At my work, we are right now redefining the use of Mcafee. In one of the phase of our planing, we want to ensure that mcafee is offering complete local protection on every PC in this way:

- From the internet

- From the local LAN

- From external drives (USB keys, CDrom, external HD etc...)

In fact, we want to be able to verify that every type of entry would be verified by Mcafee.

Is this kind of protection available? I know that some of the protection indicated are obvious. But for others, the USB keys for example, are not necessarily the case. We had a virus coming in from a USB key about three years ago and mcafee was letting him pass though. After some research, we had learned that it was a feature that was missing from the EPO of the time. The computer was reading the autorun.inf file in the USB and was activating the virus. Mcafee was letting him go everytime. I was wondering if this is now settled.

Have a nice day!

Dag

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is Mcafee offering complete access protection?

Jump to solution

HIPS would be for local firewall and IPS. Your Barracuda and Checkpoint, is covering your boundary but not your local clients, so HIPS would be a good recommendation.

DLP will 100% block external USB drives, cd burners, etc. we have it employed and are currently doing just that. DLP is a very extensive product that has many different aspects of it. I would definitely talk to a McAfee rep before discarding the idea of it.

9 Replies

Jump to solution

I would say yes. Of course you have to remember all of these products need to be properly setup otherwise they will let things by.

McAfee offers many modules that can plug in and be managed through ePO:

- HIPS - Provides a local firewall, host IPS, and network IPS

- VSE - virus protection, on-access scanning, on-demand scanning

- DLP - lock down USB ports, CD burners, find/track/protect sensitive information, etc.

There are many more modules that can be plugged into ePO, but those are some of the core modules that would cover what you are asking.

Jump to solution

The VSE is obviously on all on desktops but how do I know about the HIPS and DLP? Is this including with our business 5.1 epo orchestrator licence?

What modules would you think we would need to attain our objective of "complete protection".

Thank you for your help!

Dag

Jump to solution

When you go to your master repository or software extensions within ePO, do you see Data Loss Prevention or Host Intrusion Prevention? That will indicate if you have either of those 2 installed.

I am not sure if those are included with the business license. Go to Menu > Software > Software Manager and see if you can download either of those 2 modules. Or login to the McAfee Portal with your grant number and you'll be able to see if you can download them. Otherwise call McAfee and ask.

What modules would you think we would need to attain our objective of "complete protection".

From your original post, you could attain "complete protection" by utilizing VSE, HIPS and DLP. HIPS is only locally on the server/workstations though, if your looking at complete protection from the internet you obviously need some sort of boundary firewall, but that is outside of ePO.

Jump to solution

OK

In my case HIPS would not be necessary since we already have barracuda and checkpoint doing much of the job here. DLP is another thing. I've read about it this morning and I do not see where it could directly protect against external disks. What could DLP do concretely to protect the computers against  intrusion from USB keys, cd and other external drives? From my readings, DLP looks like a pretty big software to handle.

Dag

Jump to solution

HIPS would be for local firewall and IPS. Your Barracuda and Checkpoint, is covering your boundary but not your local clients, so HIPS would be a good recommendation.

DLP will 100% block external USB drives, cd burners, etc. we have it employed and are currently doing just that. DLP is a very extensive product that has many different aspects of it. I would definitely talk to a McAfee rep before discarding the idea of it.

Jump to solution

Thank you!

I've just sent an email to my rep about this.

Have a great day fitch!

Dag

Jump to solution

One point to bear in mind full blown DLP gives you a lot more than just the ability to control use of removable devices. you may only require the Device Control portion that is included in a number of the software bundles.

Jump to solution

I am offering you one more thing to test in your enviroment as MccAfee Application Control.

You will find it very useful.

Jump to solution

I just added this to my rep list of questions!

Read a little about it, looks very interesting indeed

Thank you!