Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Distributed Repository working?

Hi there.

Just wanted to ask this question. A bit of background first:

. ePo 4.0
. mix of 8.0 & 85i

I have created a distributed repository on a server in a subnet of our domain. I have set up the agent to select the repository by subnet distance and pushed it out to all the pc's.

Is there any way to force pcs in that subnet to use the distributed repository? The reason I ask is that when I push a task (Update to 8.5i) to one of those pc's I notice in the Agent Activity Log for that pc that I see this:

Friday, 7 March 2008 12:30:30 PM Info Script Checking update packages from repository manjy1.
Friday, 7 March 2008 12:30:31 PM Info Script Checking update packages from repository ePO_WSUS.

And then it downloads the 8.5i update from the Master Repository (takes about 15 minutes). The way I know that the update is from the Master is that at the completion it applies the most recent dat (in this case 5246) which isn't on the Distributed server because replication doesn't occur until 2:00AM, so it's always one dat behind.

If I do a Remote Desktop to one of the un-updated pcs; map a drive to the Distributed Repository on the local server; navigate to the VIRUSCAN8600 directory and run Setup.exe the update takes about 5 minutes all up.

Any ideas?
7 Replies

RE: Is Distributed Repository working?

How and when did u set the "Repository replication" on the distributed rep of your organization?

How and when the update task take place on the clients?

How: Pushed out from ePo as a client task
When: Immediately

Try to debug in this way:

When CMA update take place, check sitestat.xml on the Master, on the Dist and on the CMA.

It' possible that the CMA still goes to Master because of his sitestat.xml: it believes the Dist is not as update as the Master, according to the fact that the update runs immediately (is your Global Update enabled?).

If u wonna force the update coming from the Dist, in my opinion, u have to set the client update task starting after the Rep replication.

There's a SiteList.xml on the client but not a SiteStat.xml.

The Master has this in the SiteStat.xml:

<SiteStatus Status="Enabled" CatalogVersion="20080311214152"/>

the Dist has this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SiteStatus Status="Enabled" CatalogVersion="20080311030657">
</SiteStatus>

So the Master results most recently updated than the Dist.
I suppose you should change the schedule of clients Update Task, just after the Rep Replication.
Clients triggers an update because of new content on the Master.
You did not tell us if you Global Update is enabled.
Let me know...

Yes

Thanks for the help.

You are welcome!