cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid parameter /relay when installing McAfee agent via cmd line on WindowsXP

Jump to solution

We have workstations located in different VLANs and set up a relay server for them to use (where the relay server can access the ePO server but the workstations in those VLANs cannot).  To do this I have created two McAfee Agent policies:  1) MA Relay server policy & 2) MA Relay clients policy.  I have 'enable relay communication' checked and 'disable discovery' checked.  I have entered the IPv4 address of the relay server and port for the ePO server.  'Enable RelayServer' is checked as well as port entered (and validated).  The MA Relay clients policy is set up the exact same except for the last tick box is NOT checked (Enable RelayServer).  I have applied the policies where I need them through the tree.  I have installed the McAfee Agent using the framepkg.exe /install=agent /relay="000.00.0.00:0000" parameters.  Works great with Agent 5.5.1.462 on Windows10 and Windows7 machines.  I need to use the relay with an older XP device.  I have tried installing McAfee Agent 4.8.0 p2 and p3, as well as MA 5.0.4 and 5.0.3 using this same method, but it does not work.  I get the /relay bad parameter message.  I have looked everywhere to figure out how to make the relay functionality work with Windows XP and I have found nothing.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Invalid parameter /relay when installing McAfee agent via cmd line on WindowsXP

Jump to solution

Specifying a relay server by IP was introduced in the 5.5.0 agent.  Anything older than that must use relay discovery and would require a relay server on each subnet.  See KB91096.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: Invalid parameter /relay when installing McAfee agent via cmd line on WindowsXP

Jump to solution

Specifying a relay server by IP was introduced in the 5.5.0 agent.  Anything older than that must use relay discovery and would require a relay server on each subnet.  See KB91096.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Jump to solution
Thank you for the quick response. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route - but thank you for clearing that up for me (and hopefully others). Thanks!
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Glad to assist!

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community