mjmurra
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Install task runs on machines excluded by tag

Jump to solution

Have a fairly strange one.

EPO 4.5 server (Patch 1 I believe).

EPO Agent 4.5 (P1 I believe as well , need to check).

Windows 7 desktops.

In EPO, I have a tag set up to mark Windows 7 machines as "Windows 7". All good. It applies the tag.

I have a deployment task for VSE 8.7 which is set to not deploy to machines with the "Windows 7" tag.

But, on the Windows 7 machines, the deployment task still kicks off. It errors (incompatible version - presumably a conflict with VSE 8.8) and cancels until the next deployment time.

Is this a known bug in EPO?  EPO Agent version?

Recently had the bug (now fixed) where the Agent wasn't recognising Windows 7 for tasks - ran the SQL script and that's fine. Don't think it's related, but adding for additional background information.

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mjmurra
Level 12
Message 2 of 2

Re: Install task runs on machines excluded by tag

Jump to solution

For future assistance to anyone else, there is a "feature" in EPO 4.5 which can cause this to occur:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71916

Although the technote doesn't explain my situation above, I added the  "workstation" tag to the "Run on" settng, and kept "Server" and "Windows 7" as the exclude tags. Suddenly my Windows 7 machines no longer want to run the above task!

So if you have an Exclude tag, then you also need an include tag. Presume EPO 4.6 correctly handles this.

1 Reply
mjmurra
Level 12
Message 2 of 2

Re: Install task runs on machines excluded by tag

Jump to solution

For future assistance to anyone else, there is a "feature" in EPO 4.5 which can cause this to occur:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71916

Although the technote doesn't explain my situation above, I added the  "workstation" tag to the "Run on" settng, and kept "Server" and "Windows 7" as the exclude tags. Suddenly my Windows 7 machines no longer want to run the above task!

So if you have an Exclude tag, then you also need an include tag. Presume EPO 4.6 correctly handles this.