mjmurra
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Install task runs on machines excluded by tag

Jump to solution

Have a fairly strange one.

EPO 4.5 server (Patch 1 I believe).

EPO Agent 4.5 (P1 I believe as well , need to check).

Windows 7 desktops.

In EPO, I have a tag set up to mark Windows 7 machines as "Windows 7". All good. It applies the tag.

I have a deployment task for VSE 8.7 which is set to not deploy to machines with the "Windows 7" tag.

But, on the Windows 7 machines, the deployment task still kicks off. It errors (incompatible version - presumably a conflict with VSE 8.8) and cancels until the next deployment time.

Is this a known bug in EPO?  EPO Agent version?

Recently had the bug (now fixed) where the Agent wasn't recognising Windows 7 for tasks - ran the SQL script and that's fine. Don't think it's related, but adding for additional background information.

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
mjmurra
Level 12
Message 2 of 2

Re: Install task runs on machines excluded by tag

Jump to solution

For future assistance to anyone else, there is a "feature" in EPO 4.5 which can cause this to occur:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71916

Although the technote doesn't explain my situation above, I added the  "workstation" tag to the "Run on" settng, and kept "Server" and "Windows 7" as the exclude tags. Suddenly my Windows 7 machines no longer want to run the above task!

So if you have an Exclude tag, then you also need an include tag. Presume EPO 4.6 correctly handles this.

1 Reply
Highlighted
mjmurra
Level 12
Message 2 of 2

Re: Install task runs on machines excluded by tag

Jump to solution

For future assistance to anyone else, there is a "feature" in EPO 4.5 which can cause this to occur:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71916

Although the technote doesn't explain my situation above, I added the  "workstation" tag to the "Run on" settng, and kept "Server" and "Windows 7" as the exclude tags. Suddenly my Windows 7 machines no longer want to run the above task!

So if you have an Exclude tag, then you also need an include tag. Presume EPO 4.6 correctly handles this.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community