cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install fails with "Alter database statement not allowed within multi-statement transaction"

Jump to solution

A little bit of background: after failing to install the AWS ePO Quickstart repeatedly with little feedback as to why, I instead opted to try manually installing the application on EC2 instances using the installation package. I created a fairly basic SQL Server 2017 RDS instance, then started the installer. It consistently errors out, with this indicated in the core-install log:

[echo] Executing turn_off_snapshot_isolation_level.sql ...
[run-sql]
[run-sql] ****** Failed to execute the following SQL due to SQLException: ALTER DATABASE statement not allowed within multi-statement transaction.
[run-sql]
[run-sql] [run-sql] -- Get the current database name.
[run-sql] DECLARE @dbname nvarchar(127) = (SELECT DB_NAME())
[run-sql]
[run-sql] -- Set single_user mode since we cannot change the state of read_committed_snapshot if any other connections are open.
[run-sql] exec ('ALTER DATABASE [' + @dbname + '] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE');
[run-sql]
[run-sql] exec('ALTER DATABASE [' + @dbname + '] set read_committed_snapshot off with NO_WAIT');
[run-sql] -- exec('ALTER DATABASE [' + @dbname + '] set allow_snapshot_isolation off');
[run-sql]
[run-sql] -- Reset back to multi-user mode.
[run-sql] exec ('ALTER DATABASE [' + @dbname + '] SET MULTI_USER');

BUILD FAILED C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\build.xml:1268:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\build.xml:711: java.sql.SQLException: ALTER DATABASE statement not allowed within multi-statement transaction.
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:373)

The exception goes on. Is there something I'm missing?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Install fails with "Alter database statement not allowed within multi-statement transaction

Jump to solution

I would recommend opening a ticket with McAfee.  The reason being is that it sounds like a defect in the install script, or need to validate the sql support you are using.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

1 Reply
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Install fails with "Alter database statement not allowed within multi-statement transaction

Jump to solution

I would recommend opening a ticket with McAfee.  The reason being is that it sounds like a defect in the install script, or need to validate the sql support you are using.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.