cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reinstall an existing ePO 4.0 onto a new server with the same IP but different Windows computer name

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I need to move an existing instance of ePO 4.0 patch 6 (including policies, patch version, assignements, system tree, extensions, ...) and its local SQL instance from a server Server01 onto a new server Server02 (which would then take the IP address of Server01).

I unfortunately have the strong constraint that I cannot reuse "Server01" as the windows computer name, for the new server.

Here are the steps I plan to follow :

- open the ePO console on Server01, go to Configuration > Server Settings > Security Keys > Edit > Agent-server secure communication keys > New Key > "Server02"

- backup the whole "Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator" from Server01

- backup the whole SQL database from Server01

- switch off Server01

- power up Server02 (with the former ip address of Server01)

- install a basic (patch 0) version of ePO 4.0 on Server02

- install a SQL server on Server02

- stop all ePO services

- delete the "Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator" folder from Server02 and replace it by the one that was backed up from Server01

- import the backup of the SQL db into SQL server of Server02

- start all ePO services

- open ePO console using https://Server02/core/config, in order to provide the SQL db new connection settings

- check that db.properties and server.ini contain the correct SQL connection settings

- stop all ePO services ; start all ePO services

Do you think it would work ?

Will the ePO instance on Server02 automatically have the patch 6, as well as all extensions that the previous server had?

Or are there some registry keys that I need to backup/restore first ?

Are there files located in "Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator" that I should edit to specify the new server name ("Server02") instead of the previous one ?

Thanks in advance...

on 20/07/10 09:57:38 CEST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to reinstall an existing ePO 4.0 onto a new server with the same IP but different Windows computer name

Jump to solution

I tried and it worked.

All I needed to do was to first generate/add a new serverkey (that reflects the new ePO server's DNS name), then overwrite the whole "Program Files\ePolicy Orchestrator" folder from the old to the new machine, then edit the db.properties and server.ini files (to also reflect the ePO/SQL server DNS name).

7 Replies
mattw2
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to reinstall an existing ePO 4.0 onto a new server with the same IP but different Windows computer name

Jump to solution

I'd recommend following these instructions from McAfee site:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51438&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=...

Although this doesn't fully cover using a different servername.

You mention you can't use the old name for the server. Is this because it is to be used elsewhere on your network ? If not, and you have local DNS, consider creating an A record pointing the name at the appropriate IP address.

Also, you don't mention how many clients/epo agents you have on your network.

Matt

Jump to solution

Hi Matt, thanks for your answer.

Yes, I already saw this KB, but it implies repushing all the agents which I would like to avoid, if possible.

The DNS name cannot be re-used for inventory reasons, but it will not be used on the network, so I can make both the old DNS name and the new DNS name point to the same IP address.

We have ~1000 agents, on we only use the ePO / McAfee Agent / VirusScan  products. We don't use RSD or other products.

mattw2
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

the article only mentions redeploying the agent to the epo server itself

"Deploy the ePO agent only to the ePO server.
This replaces the new agent keys on the ePO server with the restored ones from the previous installation. All other existing agents on the network will retain the proper keys and will not need to re-deployed."

If you can setup DNS to point the old name at the new server, then even though you are re-using the IP address, it should mean the existing agents can talk to the new server so you don't need to re-deploy the agent to everything.

Jump to solution

Ok, that's what I secretly hoped 

And for the other aspects (files to modify after copying the "ePolicy Orchestrator" folder, reg keys, patches, extensions...) do you have any idea ?

Will the ePO instance on Server02 automatically have the patch 6, as well as all extensions that the previous server had?

Or are there some registry keys that I need to backup/restore first ?

Are there files located in "Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator" that I should edit to specify the new server name ("Server02") instead of the previous one ?

Thanks...

Jump to solution

Any Update? Did this work successfully for you?

Jump to solution

Hi, I haven't tried yet since I need to be really sure that I can simply copy-paste the whole "Program Files\ePolicy Orchestrator" folder from one machine to the other, or if I will then need to edit some files...

Jump to solution

I tried and it worked.

All I needed to do was to first generate/add a new serverkey (that reflects the new ePO server's DNS name), then overwrite the whole "Program Files\ePolicy Orchestrator" folder from the old to the new machine, then edit the db.properties and server.ini files (to also reflect the ePO/SQL server DNS name).