cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate EPO server 5.3.1(Windows Server 2008 R2) to EPO 5.10 (windows Server 2016) serv

Good Day all, ...i am planning to migrate our epo server version 5.3.1(Windows Server 2008 R2+ MS SQL Server 2008 Express Edt) to another server (windows Server 2016 + Central MS SQL 2016).we have more than 300 PCs clients managed by the  Epo server.

I would like to ask some help or step by step manual regarding in this migration to minimized error in the process...hoping for quick and best procedure

Thanks and Best regards..

Labels (1)
5 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to migrate EPO server 5.3.1(Windows Server 2008 R2) to EPO 5.10 (windows Server 2016) serv

I would suggest upgrading your existing epo server first to 5.10, then follow the epo install guide for restoring the server to the new server using the disaster recovery snapshot procedure.

Be sure to follow kb71825 and 66616 for what to backup and check and run the pre installation auditor tool prior to upgrading.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Re: How to migrate EPO server 5.3.1(Windows Server 2008 R2) to EPO 5.10 (windows Server 2016) serv

Unfortunately, 5.10 is not supported on 2008 sql express, so you will first need to move the database to a supported version of sql.  See kb86693 for supported environments for epo.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

our old epo server has  database server 2008 Express edition, but we like to migrate/connect the database to our central MS SQL 2016 database and want to migrate Epo win 2008 R2(EoL in June ) to Win 2016 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Unfortunately, support for sql 2016 wasn't introduced until 5.3.3, so you would have to do a stepped upgrade process to possibly go to 5.3.3 first, then 5.10. 

I would recommend as an alternative to set up a new 5.10 server fresh, import your policies, system tree, settings, etc. and migrate your systems to it rather than go through the upgrade headaches as well as the sha1 to sha2 cert migration potential issues.  When you transfer the systems from the old to the new, they will automatically get the new cert and possibly be a much smoother process.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Yup!
Precisely that!

Upgrade to 5.3.3 first as cdinet suggests!

"I would recommend as an alternative to set up a new 5.10 server fresh, import your policies, system tree, settings, etc. and migrate your systems to it rather than go through the upgrade headaches as well as the sha1 to sha2 cert migration potential issues. When you transfer the systems from the old to the new, they will automatically get the new cert and possibly be a much smoother process."

Details on the policy operations can be done can be found here:

How to migrate policies and systems from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another
Technical Articles ID: KB88822

Be aware and so check this article and upgrade extensions as indicated to help you run through the whole operation:

ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.x minimum supported extension versions
Technical Articles ID:   KB90383

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community