cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get McAfee agent to use DNS instead of IP for the EPO server?

I have a new EPO server, it's in DNS, but when I look at the log files it seems that the McAfee agent connects via IP, and not DNS.

Anyone know how to force it to use DNS?

6 Replies

Re: How to get McAfee agent to use DNS instead of IP for the EPO server?

If I remember correctly, the clients try IP first, then DNS, then NetBIOS.  Log on to an arbitrary client and ping the FQDN of your ePO server and repositories to verify DNS entries of server and SA's.

fix order of connect on 3/16/10 1:53:16 PM GMT-05:00

Everything pings properly, just for some reason when I look in the agent_workstation.log file I only see the IP address:

connecting to real server: 10.10.1.1

connected to ePO server: 10.10.1.1

Because it uses the sitelist.xml stored IP to connect.... It will change that if ever stops responding.  My first post was incorrect...

"The computers with an existing agent installed will attempt to connect back to the ePO server using the following order:
  1. IP address
  2. DNS
  3. Netbios

NOTE: The agent will attempt to connect to the ePO server 6 times, using the IP address - successfully connect to the server once it uses DNS. At this point the agent will download an updated SiteList.xml file and connect successfully thereafter using the new IP address."

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51529

Thanks for the information.  So it doesn't seem there's a way to force it to use DNS which is a problem if we wish to use an EPO server in our DMZ (there's a thread about how to do so and it seemed that you had to use DNS in order to accomplish this).

Look into Agent Handlers for DMZ's.  They work great....  Download the Agent Handler white paper for appropriate design and firewall port req's.

I'll check that out, although if the workstation is using the IP of the internal server, rather than DNS, not sure how it'll work, but I'll have to read up on the agent handler, as it may just add something to the "list" of what/where to go if the first thing fails.