cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add computers when they are only visible by full domain name and not by name?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have to add computers from other domains but our network enviroment is configured this way that for some reason all domains are visible in Microsoft Network Neiberhood only from time to time (?). So when I ping computer  in other domain (and domain is not visible) it is only visible when I ping name.domain.group (so full domain name). I've synchronized group within ePolicy but it took only computer names (I knew it would do that) so I cannot ping those computers nor deploy agents. I've sent to user framepkg.exe and after installation computer is visible in ePolicy, it sents props but I cannot still ping it nor wake up the agent. Is there any option I can solve this before checking network configuration? If the only solution is to sort domains visiblity inside Microsoft Network Neiberhood where to start? Thanks in advance.

Regards

Dominik

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David!
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to add computers when they are only visible by full domain name and not by name?

Jump to solution

add the other domains to your DNS suffix list.

On EPO server, open network connections

go to properties for the appropriate NIC.

TCPipv4 properties

advanced

DNS

add the suffix(es) in the

"Append these DNS suffixes (in order):"

listbox.

eg:

if you have to ping workstation7.pants.local, add pants.local to the DNS suffix list.

I suggest the top item in this list is the FQDN for the domain your EPO server is on, and then the other suffixes below that.

3 Replies
David!
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to add computers when they are only visible by full domain name and not by name?

Jump to solution

add the other domains to your DNS suffix list.

On EPO server, open network connections

go to properties for the appropriate NIC.

TCPipv4 properties

advanced

DNS

add the suffix(es) in the

"Append these DNS suffixes (in order):"

listbox.

eg:

if you have to ping workstation7.pants.local, add pants.local to the DNS suffix list.

I suggest the top item in this list is the FQDN for the domain your EPO server is on, and then the other suffixes below that.

Jump to solution

Hi David, thanks for prompt answer.

I've made suggested changes and now from the EPO server (machine) i can ping computers providing only a name but Orchestrator sill gives me "Failed to determine host IP"  while trying to ping specifc computer (EPO 45 P4). I restarted orchestrator service just in case but that didn't help also (I haven't restared the whole server). Should I change anything more?

---

Of course I try to ping the machine where the agent was deployed manualy (using framepkg.exe) and is sending prop and downloading dats.

Message was edited by: dominikk on 10/05/11 12:06:41 GMT+01:00

Jump to solution

OK, the issue is now solved. In addition to changes suggested by David I found that admin$ access was restricted to other subnet so Windows Firewall was bloking incoming connections. The plan is to correct group policy settings and that should be all. Thanks David for your help.