cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to Fix a Broken ENS Firewall Rule in ePO?

Jump to solution
What are some ways to fix a broken or corrupted ENS Firewall policy in ePO? I have a situation as outlined in Technical Articles ID: KB91242 -- "Unexpected error occurred (when editing an Endpoint Security Firewall rule that contains a custom application from the Firewall Catalog)." I have updated the ENS Firewall Extension to Version 10.6.1.1064, but there is still the matter of this one corrupted rule to correct. The rule cannot be edited or changed. Any attempt to edit this one ENS Firewall rule gets "An unexpected error occurred." All other ENS FW rules can be edited with no trouble, so the problem seems to be confined to just this one rule. Is there any way to repair or recover a rule? Is there any backup source that could be used? Export the rule, then import it -- some trick like that?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to Fix a Broken ENS Firewall Rule in ePO?

Jump to solution

Dear @csavage 

I am sorry to hear this, ideally we cannot fix any policies that are already corrupted, even export and import would not be of much help as far as I am concerned.

See if you have the rules exported by any chance earlier, and try to import it (if it was exported during working condition)

The least option would be to create a new custom Firewall rule as per the requirement.

Or If the rule being migrated from HIPS just migrate it again and replace the corrupted rule.

Hope this helps.

Venu
4 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Dear @csavage 

I am sorry to hear this, ideally we cannot fix any policies that are already corrupted, even export and import would not be of much help as far as I am concerned.

See if you have the rules exported by any chance earlier, and try to import it (if it was exported during working condition)

The least option would be to create a new custom Firewall rule as per the requirement.

Or If the rule being migrated from HIPS just migrate it again and replace the corrupted rule.

Hope this helps.

Venu

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.  The existing rule is still active in and reflected in the endpoints to which it was applied.  Is there any way to export the rule set from the McAfee ENS client at an end point?

If not, i can at least use that display of Admin-defined rules as information from which to build a new policiy from scratch.

- Charlie

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Dear @csavage 

I just tried in my test machine to confirm that there is no option that we could export. Though I think, you could highlight the rule, and copy the contents in the decription and create the same on your console. I did not see any other possibilities here.

😞

Venu

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for lookng that over.  I will document what is currently running, as above, and rebuild as a new rule. 

- Charlie

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator