cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does my computer get Updates from EPO?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone....I'm confused. Can someone explain to me the difference between

1. Client Task Catalog --> Product Update --> Update Task

task.png

2. Updates tab under General McAfee Agent Policy

agent policy.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How does my computer get Updates from EPO?

Jump to solution

Hi clicnam,

I'm no expert but my understanding is as follows.  If i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.

The agent policy (number 2 in your list) defines what the agent is 'allowed' to update and which branch to pull the updates from.

The Task (number 1 in your list) defines what will actually be updated by the task.

For example, if everything is ticked in the agent but there is no task then it won't be updated.  Likewise, a task to do an update won't happen if that isn't allowed (i.e. ticked) in the agent.

This allows you to have different update tasks for different products at different frequencies (for example, you might want a task to do DAT updates run more frequently than a service pack update).  Also, you can use the branch option in the agent policy to do updates to Evaluation versions of software and then apply that agent policy to a group of test machines.

Hope that helps

3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi clicnam,

I'm no expert but my understanding is as follows.  If i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.

The agent policy (number 2 in your list) defines what the agent is 'allowed' to update and which branch to pull the updates from.

The Task (number 1 in your list) defines what will actually be updated by the task.

For example, if everything is ticked in the agent but there is no task then it won't be updated.  Likewise, a task to do an update won't happen if that isn't allowed (i.e. ticked) in the agent.

This allows you to have different update tasks for different products at different frequencies (for example, you might want a task to do DAT updates run more frequently than a service pack update).  Also, you can use the branch option in the agent policy to do updates to Evaluation versions of software and then apply that agent policy to a group of test machines.

Hope that helps

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Trevora, your understanding is correct.  The first screenshot is a task, while the other is a policy.  Policies are defined settings for how you define the product to work, while the client task is a task that runs on the client to take some kind of action.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Hi clicnam,

Me not expert too in McAfee ePO but try to share my understanding during my daily exploring and administration. 

The procedure to create task is correct. Then you should create group under System Tree to group all endpoint computers. For example either by department or by function. Then assign this update task to relevant groups and this should apply this Client Task to all computer assigned.

Hope this help.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community