Highlighted
mr54
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

How does Relay Server work ?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to know if it was possible to use the Relay Server founctionnality even if the communication between ePO and the MA is working.

I have to limit the communication between my endpoints and ePO  even if they can communicate, but I don't know how to do that.

I don't want to use an agent handler by the way, I really want to know if I can manage with Relay Server and how to do it.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Re: How does Relay Server work ?

Jump to solution

Please check kb91096 to see if that answers your questions.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

5 Replies
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi mr54,

The 'relay server' setup relates to the McAfee Agent (MA policty) itself. It is reliant on the MA 'agent to server  communication interval' (ASCI) for its operation.

Such a setup allows the agent to 'fallback' to other devices if the ePO server or agent handlers (AH) cannot be reached.
As your communication between the clients and the ePO server are working, the clients will always communicate with the ePO server first.

Think of it as a sort of round robin operation, where the relay server communication will always be tried last after all else fails.

As you wish to manage (to reduce) your connections to the ePO server you should setup an Agent Handler to do that, it is a feature of an AH servers operation.

For example you have:

x1 ePO server
with
x100,000 clients

This means the ePO will have to server 100,000 client connections along side its daily operations of  server tasks, run reports and queries as the company/estate requires.

If you have:

x1 ePO server
&
x4 remote Agent handlers
with
x100,000 clients.

The 4 agent handlers can be configured to manage 50,000 connects each and so leave ePO to run tasks, reports and queries but to only manage 4 Agent handler connections.

The ePO product guide offers some examples of how such a setup can be achieved.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

mr54
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi Hawkmoon,

Thanks a lot for your reply !

So, I don't have any way to block the communication between ePO and my endpoints  to enforce the MA to only communicate with my Relay Server ? With using Firewall rules for example ?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Please check kb91096 to see if that answers your questions.

Was my reply helpful?

mr54
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

It doesn't answer all my questions but it's good ! Thank you !

I will continue my investigations !

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Let us know what other questions you might have.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator