cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee jstanley
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 16

Re: How do you test new McAfee VirusScan Patches in your ePO-environment?

Jump to solution

Were you deploying any products to the client? If so that could be how the patch got deployed. When a client machine completes a deployment task that installs a new product (so not just when it runs a deployment task but when the task actually installs something) it will trigger a "one-click update" which essentially tells it to "update everything".

For that reason as Masten suggested the best solution is to check the patch into the evaluation branch and do not move it to the current branch until you are ready for a general deployment.

diwi
Level 10
Message 12 of 16

Jump to solution

Hello jstanley,

the ePO 4.5.0 environment is already prepared for evaluation. The Patch 1 of VirusScan 8.8.0 is in the evaluation branch and a special McAfee Agent policy was created and attached to a special test context. I am currently in the process to create a virtual Windows XP test machine and will create that one as a new System in the special test context, deploy the agent and see how it goes.

I'am very confident that everything works perfectly. Later I will use special TAGs for that procedure.

Things from the evaluation branch are not deployed, so the other 1500 systems are safe! When the patch evaluation turns out to work fine, we will include the remaining 600 clients and servers to finish our migration from ePO 3.6.1 !!!

Regards,

DiWi

Message was edited by: diwi on 1/12/12 5:44:09 PM CET

Message was edited by: diwi on 1/12/12 5:44:49 PM CET
Highlighted
Raj909
Level 7
Message 13 of 16

Jump to solution

masten,

That worked perfectly for us, thanks for the directions.  Has anyone tried to deploy VirusScan 8.8 Patch 1 via ePO 4.6?  I just deployed to a few test machines and a window popup appears once the patch is installed asking to Restart or Cancel.

I don't recall any user intervention for patches deployed to VSE in the past.  It was always silent.

diwi
Level 10
Message 14 of 16

Jump to solution

@Raj909

What about this ...

Reboot options after product deployment (Windows only) ! A setting in your McAfee Agent Policy.

Is it enabled to '

Regards,

DiWi

Raj909
Level 7
Message 15 of 16

Jump to solution

@diwi

Yep, that was it and it was enabled.  I found that option just a few minutes ago.

Thanks

Raj909

diwi
Level 10
Message 16 of 16

Jump to solution

@Raj909

Actually, I just have 2 clients (1 Windows XP and 1 Windows 7 workstation) provided with Patch 1 and a hotfix but I could not remember that I was asked for a reboot, but maybe that's because they didn't have VirusScan at all before. I may have supplied them with an agent in the target context, where Patch1 and the HotFix gets distributed from the Evaluation Branch and the upper mentioned setting is enabled here by default.

Regards,

diwi

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community