cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i find a file within my managed systems using the ePO?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Am trying to find an exe file installed in my manages systems, it is not a mcafee product but i hear that it can be done with a query or something. Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How can i find a file within my managed systems using the ePO?

Jump to solution

Just create a user defined rule in access protection rules with the file name in, set it to report instead of block.

look at client threat events, you now have a list of machines with that file on.

7 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

I am sorry but not clear about the question.

Which file you would like to query from the ePO server? Please reproduce the query.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Sorry for that, am trying to find out if a software has been installed in my network machines, i wanted to know if there's a way to look for that software, in this case an exe file installed in the c:\program file\X folder\X.exe using the ePO against all managed systems.

Message was edited by: blackinux on 8/24/11 5:29:21 PM VET
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I am not sure if we can achieve this.

List of McAfee products will be listed in the machine's property.

Some of third party products can be managed from the ePO server through SIA but not sure if we can get the installation directory (c:\program file\X folder\X.exe). Some one, please correct me.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

I know once i had a malware problem, and we did an artemis kind of rule that identify and exe file when was read write, that's why i was thinking it might help me find the exe file but instead of a rule a query that could find it.

Jump to solution

The System Information Reporter product that integrates with ePO would likely allow you to do this, but it's available for Platinum customers only.

If you're a Platinum customer, ask your support contact about it.

Rgds,

Rob.

Tristan
Level 15
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

If you know the EXE name then you could add it as a user defined file under the 'Unwanted Programs' policy under VSE 8.8.

It will then throw up a detection warning when ever the program is run.

HOWEVER: This will kick in VSE and it will attempt to delete the file. So not nessesarily the desired results.

Other options:

We use a piece of asset software called 'Alloy Navigator' it allows you scan the entire network and extract machine specs and all the software installed on each computer.

Or there's a unofficial add on to WSUS that allows you to check and report on installed software. http://www.localupdatepublisher.com/

Message was edited by: Tristan on 25/08/11 16:57:59 IST
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Just create a user defined rule in access protection rules with the file name in, set it to report instead of block.

look at client threat events, you now have a list of machines with that file on.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community