cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anna6
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

How can i add win 2003 as an workstation and not only in tag??

How can i add win 2003 as an workstation and not only in tag??

8 Replies
apoling
Level 14
Message 2 of 9

Re: How can i add win 2003 as an workstation and not only in tag??

Hello,

what is you intent with this? Could you be more specific/verbose ?

Attila

Anna6
Level 7
Message 3 of 9

I'm tring to change that because all my win server 2003 are workstations and because of this now i'm doing double set of policies (all the policies can be set for workstation or server)

I deleted the tag Server and tought it would help but it didn't, I didn't find nothing about it in thr server settings in the epo,

that's why i'm asking where i can chage it so that i won't do double work....

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question either.  You're saying that you install windows server 2003 OS on your workstations?  I believe apps such as VSE automatically make the determination of the machine type by OS during install (hence the .wrk or .srv on the end of the product name in details) and that is how the two policy settings in VSE (workstation and server) get applied.  Are you saying you want to have a different policy for these workstations with a server OS than other servers?  Could you move them to their own OU and apply their own policy there?

Andrew

Anna6
Level 7
Message 5 of 9

In my organization we're using win 2003 servers as workstations.

I manage only workstations (XP, Vista, Win 7, 2003 Servers as workstations) i.e. I don't manage any servers.

In the VSE policy there are two set of policies- Server or Workstation.

I want my 2003 servers to get the workstation policy instead of configuring the same policy twice- for the workstations and the servers.

apoling
Level 14
Message 6 of 9

Anna,

Thank you for the clarification. I think you need to first modify the Server tag so it does not apply to Windows 2003 servers, then add a new tag: Workstaton-2003 so it applies to Windows 2003 servers only. Then apply the tag criteria itself to nodes.

I think tags are the only way you make ePO handle the Windows 2003 servers as workstations.

If you use ePO 4.5 - and I gathered you do - then go to Systems -  Tag Catalog - select Server - Tag Action - Edit.

Add the condition OS Version - Does not Equal - 2003.

Then add the new tag with the conditions "OS platform=Server" and "OS version=2003".

Attila

Anna6
Level 7
Message 7 of 9

Did that, It didn't help...

thanks!

Message was edited by: Anna6 on 4/21/10 1:18:46 PM GMT+02:00

Message was edited by: Anna6 on 4/21/10 1:19:08 PM GMT+02:00
akl71
Level 10
Message 8 of 9

Anna6 schrieb:

In the VSE policy there are two set of policies- Server or Workstation.

I want my 2003 servers to get the workstation policy instead of configuring the same policy twice- for the workstations and the servers.

I think this is not possible.

We also have many identical policies for servers and workstations, but we need to configure every policy separately for servers and workstations.

Best thing would be a checkbox "apply policy for servers and workstations" so it would not be required to configure every policy for servers and workstations.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

That's correct - there's no way to apply a "workstation" policy to a server OS. The agent on the machine determines if the OS is a server or workstation, and applies the relevant policy.

The only way to achieve what you want is to configure the same policy settings for servers as for workstations.

Regards -

Joe