cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I automate a server task to kick off when a system checks in?

Jump to solution
I am in the process of migrating my systems from our old ePO server to our new ePO server. I have most of the systems already transferred, but I keep getting a few stragglers that have old agents that want to check into the old ePO server. These are mostly laptops that are only online a short amount of time. I have a server task that runs a query that return all the managed systems, and then runs a subtask of transferring the system. I have this task running once an hour, but ideally, I would like to have this task run as soon as a system checks in on the old sever to maximize my chances of catching a system while it is online. I had thought about using the automatic response to kick off the server task once a system is detected, but I am not sure if that is the best option, or even if it is going to work. Can anyone give me any help here on how I can set this up so that systems will transfer as soon as they check in on the old ePO server?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 11

Re: How can I automate a server task to kick off when a system checks in?

Jump to solution

You might want to then look into using EEDK.  You can wrap the new server's agent in eedk, check it into your old epo server and set up a run immediately deployment task on the old server to push out the new agent that way. 

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/toolexchange

I have used that method many times with much success.  You would basically put as the command to run:

framepkg.exe /install=agent

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

10 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

If the system is already marked for transfer, re-running a task to mark it as such won't help.  I would suggest deploying an agent to your stragglers from the new epo server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

That would be problematic.  Most of the machines that I am seeing are online only for brief intervals.  I can't deploy an agent from the new server because I would have to be very lucky to catch the laptops while they are online.

It is for this reason that I am looking for a way to kick off the server task the moment that a client system checks in with the old ePO server.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

You might want to then look into using EEDK.  You can wrap the new server's agent in eedk, check it into your old epo server and set up a run immediately deployment task on the old server to push out the new agent that way. 

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/toolexchange

I have used that method many times with much success.  You would basically put as the command to run:

framepkg.exe /install=agent

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

my ignorance on this, what is EEDK?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Sorry, I forgot that link didn't lead you to it.  I will update the KB where I got that.  Anyway, eedk is a tool that can package up scripts, installers, etc, that can be checked into epo for deployment.  Check this link - there is more info there.

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Documents/ePO-Endpoint-Deployment-Kit-9-6-1-Enterprise-Edition/ta-p/...

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

I downloaded and ran the eedk, but I am just getting an error that -Build:"" does not exist.eedk.jpg

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Go to tools and specify a build folder location.  I typically create a source and build folder and point it to those.  Be sure you download the 2 required dll's and put them in same directory as eedk.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Were you able to get eedk package to work?

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Yes, I was able to create a package and check in that package on my old ePO server.  Thank you for your help.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center