cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force install of modified McAfee 8.8i package over existing 8.8i package via ePO 4.6

I have a modified McAfee 8.8i package that I wish to force install over an existing McAfee 8.8i package.  Pushing the modified package onto a workstation without a pre-existing installation of McAfee 8.8i is successful (or over a prior version of McAfee is successful, too).  However, the package will not install on a workstation where v8.8i resides already.  Apparently, the agent sees that it has the same version and does not check that certain feature(s) have been modified/disabled.  In my case, I had to create a modified package to disable the local "AutoUpdate" feature (there are no ePO policies which can be altered for this feature).

It appears that I have the option of creating a task to remove existing packages of McAfee from workstations (and then using the deployment task for the modified package), but I'd rather the agent install the modified package over top of the existing package.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6 Replies

Re: Force install of modified McAfee 8.8i package over existing 8.8i package via ePO 4.6

Hi ulyssesd, do you mean tou want to delete the local autoupdate task or is that you want to remove the autoupdate feature fot the users cannot be able to click on it?

Re: Force install of modified McAfee 8.8i package over existing 8.8i package via ePO 4.6

Nice to see other namesakes in the world

In answer to your question, my goal is to remove/disable/reschedule the local "AutoUpdate" feature of deployed McAfee 8.8i installations.  As the ePO Agent will provide the updates automatically to the clients, I don't want the clients to use their own update feature as it causes disconnections to network resources at unwanted times (default is 5 PM).

As there is no corresponding policy to change the scheduling or disable the feature via ePO, I had to create a new McAfee 8.8i install package with the AutoUpdate feature turned-off.  I wish to push this modified package via ePO and force install it over the existing clients.

In fact this policy really exists.

If you edit your Virusscan policies, under General Options Policies you can check "Disable default AutoUpdate task schedule". This will delete the default autoupdate task you can see inside virusscan console.

But if you want to disable this feature you must edit your McaFee Agent General policy and there check "Show the McAfee system tray icon (Windows only)" and uncheck "Allow end users to update security from the McAfee system tray menu". This will enable McAfee Agent icon and disable the "update security" feature.

Sorry, I don't see "Disable default AutoUpdate task schedule" in my "General Options" (or the other tabs):

eposs1.png

Ah, nevermind.  I see my mistake.  I was under the general policies of the agent, not the client.  Thank You for your assistance!

In my experience, after setting the policy to disable AutoUpdate, users can still go to the VirusScan Console and run the AutoUpdate task.