cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Failed to upgrade from epo 5.1.3 to 5.3.3 after rollback

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Can you help me with those kind of error in the logfiles?

Rollback seems to have failed and cannot upgrade anymore...

Some remaining objects in the sql database seems to stuck the upgrade process.

There is already an object named 'SP_Core_CreateContextView' in the database. 

There is already an object named 'FN_Core_GetContextTenancyInfo' in the database.

(upgrade to ePO 5.3.x fails with errors in core_upgrade.log)

Allready seen the KB86790 wich ask us to restore DB but we can't  (too old)

Other errord foudn in logfiles: 

[ErrorLog]
ErrorString=FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:
ActionName=MerMod_RunOrionANTInstaller
"D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Installer\Core\install.bat"

Return code: 1
Error Message: Incorrect function.

CustomAction: MerMod_RunOrionANTInstaller

----------------

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Violation of UNIQUE KEY constraint 'UQ_OrionExtensions_Name'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.OrionExtensions'.

----------------
[run-sql-with-raw-database] WARN: Caution: Changing any part of an object name could break scripts and stored procedures.

[run-sql-with-raw-database] WARN: RENAMING CONSTRAINT PK_OrionExtensions_Id FROM [dbo].[OrionExtensions]:[Id] TO PK_OrionExtensions_Id [run-sql-with-raw-database] [run-sql-with-raw-database] ****** Failed to execute the following SQL
due to SQLException: There is already an object named 'FN_Core_GetContextTenancyInfo' in the database.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee austin_o
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Failed to upgrade from epo 5.1.3 to 5.3.3 after rollback

Jump to solution

Not a problem.  Right off the bat, this is my favorite error:

ErrorString=FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:

Essentially, its just a place holder. Where the command gets stuck or timeouts; generally with the application service stalling or failing to connect to the db.
This will correlate to a time-stamp within the Orion.log, MSI.log, or install failure logs in the %temp% upgrade folder.
In this instance because the table/rows it was attempting to create in the database already existed and contains information it couldnt commit the changes and ended up getting stuck.
This means the previous attempt at the upgrade was also a failed rollback; we were in a bad state before this attempt. We would need to restore to a previous point in time before the upgrade took place before attempting the upgrade again.
Additionally, if KB71825 has not been completed fully before an upgrade, I would expect there to be complications with the upgrade as Windows updates, admins, and other products will change settings on the machine over time.
I really cant stress enough how often I use that KB to address upgrade failures. It's a great document, the only addition would also be to run the reindex script located on KB67184 and possibly KB68961 if the database is large.

My recommendation here would be to restore to a previous state before any upgrades, work through KB71825, then run the reindex - KB67184, then grab a backup and attempt the upgrade again.
Hope this helps!

3 Replies
McAfee Employee austin_o
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Not a problem.  Right off the bat, this is my favorite error:

Essentially, its just a place holder. Where the command gets stuck or timeouts; generally with the application service stalling or failing to connect to the db.
This will correlate to a time-stamp within the Orion.log, MSI.log, or install failure logs in the %temp% upgrade folder.
In this instance because the table/rows it was attempting to create in the database already existed and contains information it couldnt commit the changes and ended up getting stuck.
This means the previous attempt at the upgrade was also a failed rollback; we were in a bad state before this attempt. We would need to restore to a previous point in time before the upgrade took place before attempting the upgrade again.
Additionally, if KB71825 has not been completed fully before an upgrade, I would expect there to be complications with the upgrade as Windows updates, admins, and other products will change settings on the machine over time.
I really cant stress enough how often I use that KB to address upgrade failures. It's a great document, the only addition would also be to run the reindex script located on KB67184 and possibly KB68961 if the database is large.

My recommendation here would be to restore to a previous state before any upgrades, work through KB71825, then run the reindex - KB67184, then grab a backup and attempt the upgrade again.
Hope this helps!

Jump to solution

Hi Austin, Thanks for reply

We can't restore a db backup as far. Was looking for an alternative solution.

Comparing  all entries modified at the first migration step date with another similar db and will try to remove blank entries, but cannont explain why setup cant totally clean those previous modification before to let play another upgrade on it.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, if the database is in a partially upgraded state, as in the error SP_Core_CreateContextView  already exists, there are most likely other places where the upgrade failure didn't roll back properly.  It will require a restore from a previous backup.  Sadly, since you don't have a recent backup, your only choice is to either restore to the older backup you do have to at least preserve some policies and settings, or to start over fresh.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.