cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Export Server Task to XML without Queries Embedded?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to export a Server Task that executes queries, without having the queries themselves embedded within the XML file generated for export?

Here's the scenario: I have a server task that executes 6 different queries and then emails them out (they're queries that run different reports filtered by a System Tree folder that holds a country's systems). All of the queries already exist, as they are created to support custom dashboards - we just run a daily report of these queries for compliance reporting.

I need to create a server task for each country that executes the 6 queries and emails them. I was hoping I could export the query in XML, perform a find and replace, and save the XML file to import back into the ePO server as a new task. But because it embeds the actual queries within the XML, it creates duplicates in the "Imported Queries" folder when I import the task.

Is there a way to at least import a "blank" version of the task that doesn't have the queries embedded, so I can go in and choose the queries when I edit the newly imported task? Or do I need to just let it create the duplicates, and go back and delete them later?

(Creating each Server Task manually for 3 dozen separate countries is... not a task I'm looking forward to, but if that's the only way...)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Export Server Task to XML without Queries Embedded?

Jump to solution

AFAIK, no.

If  there is server task where you selected 'Run query' then query must be included. Without query included, task will be invalid.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
5 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

AFAIK, no.

If  there is server task where you selected 'Run query' then query must be included. Without query included, task will be invalid.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution
You can create a task identical to the one you have, but have actions something different than running a query. Then when you export and import it, you can then edit it to add the queries. Question, however - why the need for different tasks? Can't you set different sub actions in the same task to run for all your different countries? What is different in the tasks that you need a whole new task for it?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Good question - we break them out for 2 reasons: scheduling at different times (so it runs at a time relevant to the time zones the various contries are in), and for clarity. It's easier to keep track of which task does what by a simple naming convention we keep to, then have someone scroll through multiple sub-tasks in a single scheduled task and looking for what they need (we have multiple ePO servers due to our size, and regional ePO admins often work across different servers - the standardization and specification of the tasks makes it easier to find using the search function).

I'm fond of ePO, but having that many sub-tasks in a single scheduled task, along with the UI, makes looking for a specific sub-task a bit of a chore.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution
I tend to agree with you there on looking through at the sub tasks. Does creating a server task with different action than run query help you in any way? Since you need to modify it anyway, then you can change it to point to the queries you have.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

I'm doing something a little bit similar to that:

1. Download XML
  2. Find/Replace Names
  3. Import XML
  4. Since unwanted queries always land in the Imported Queries folder (which I keep empty and clean) I immediately delete everything
  5. Edit task which has 4 subtasks with empty queries to run correct queries

So close - the process creates 4 broken subtasks which I can quickly fix. It's slightly speedier for me than recreating each subtask to run a query & email it. 🙂

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community