Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runcmd
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 30

RE: Same here.

It's nice that they've released a hotfix, but...

Apply the hotfix update to VSE 8.7i Patch 2, prior to installing McAfee Agent 4.5

What are you supposed to do if MA v4.5 has already been deployed? If it wasn't you wouldn't be encountering the error message(s). Kind of a "catch 22" if you ask me. It would have also been nice if my case that's open with support had been updated with this information. sad
Highlighted

Indeed

I am hoping that it is simply a case of re-installing the agent but I felt exactly the same. I actually raised a case for this with McAfee on the internet a few days ago just to ask how long they would be 'working on it' and the nice internet people in India simply resolved that case without any comment whatsoever.

Par for the course with McAfee.
NYB
Level 7
Message 13 of 30

Fix worked for me

I imported the hotfix into my repository and the clients that have received it are no longer experiencing the problem.

I did NOT reinstall the Agent :eek:, will follow up if problems arise.

RE: Same here.

Well, the hotfix seems to be working, but I see the new problem: the process "shstat.exe" is no longer running and the VSE tray icon is dissapearing after few seconds.
Anybody experiencing the same?
Sorry for my English.
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 30

See KB67174:

Does this explain it?
Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
akl71
Level 10
Message 16 of 30

RE: See KB67174:

Explains it but makes not much sense (for me)

... system tray icon disappears ...
... a new method for displaying icon options to the user ...

So a disappearing icon is a new method for displaying icons 😄

We had many user calls because the missing icon, they thougt that virus scan was removed. So now we are forced to display the McAfee Agent icon to have a visual indicator for virus protection and there will be massive calls due to the new icon
... ok it is the "normal" McAfee patch/hotfix desaster sad
DV27
Level 7
Message 17 of 30

So if this is Normal for EPO managed PCs, why does it override the EPO 8.7 Interface policy when you have selected "Show the system tray icon with all menu options"?

That icon is for peace of mind for end users. I have it selected in EPO to be displayed, I want it displayed. I'll be asking McAfee to review this backwards decision and hope to see them revert to allowing us to have full control over their product in a network environment.

I also DON'T WANT to have this Agent icon visible instead of the VSE icon.
They should not force us to do anything "their" way...

I do understand your point. However in our testing environment, I've applied P2 + HF517265 and configured the MA4.5 policy to show the agent icon. I believe the info displayed is neater and better than VSE8.7 icon. It is just a matter of users and support guys get used to the new look.
DV27
Level 7
Message 20 of 30

I dont think its about getting used to a new look, its about getting your control of your own evironment removed from the EPO server based on what McAfee "think" should be the best practice.

The "feature" of removing the VSE icon overrides any EPO setting that should allow you to show the VSE icon instead of the Agent icon. Personally, we have the Agent icon showing now we have been given clarification, but it isnt as intuitive as having the VSE icon there, and more importantly (critically, and totally overlooked by McAfee I'd say..) there is no visual indication that VSE is not working unless you hover your mouse over it.
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community