cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twenden
Level 13

Errors in Orion.log from Disaster recovery snapshot

Jump to solution

We are testing upgrading from ePO 5.3.3 to 5.9.1. Thje upgrade seems to have gone OK. However, at 2am we have a disaster recovery snaphot task run. On the ePO console, it shows that the disaster recovery run without issue. However, the orion.log is showing lots of files that were skipped as shown below.

I have never seen this before. Does anyone know if this is a big issue?

2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= ProductCompatibility_zh_TW.html because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= product_strings.xml because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= RepoCache because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= Request because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= Server.Ini because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= SiteInfo.ini because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= SiteList.xml because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= SiteList.xsd because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= SiteMgr.Ini because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= SiteStat.xml because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= Software because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= SoftwareManager because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= trial_products_list.xml because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:21:07,402 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= www because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:30:37,708 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= Current because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:30:37,708 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= Previous because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:36:18,475 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= AMCORDAT2000 because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:36:18,475 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= BOCVSE__1000 because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:36:18,475 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= DLPAGENT11000 because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:36:18,475 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= EEADMIN_1000 because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:36:18,475 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= EEFF____5000 because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:36:18,475 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= EEGO____1000 because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot
2018-03-13 02:36:18,475 INFO  [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-15] snapshot.SnapshotManipulator  - Skipping file= EEGO____1000MACX because it is not in the list of included files to snapshot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: Errors in Orion.log from Disaster recovery snapshot

Jump to solution

OK, I've done some more testing and looked at the files you sent in - thanks for that.

It looks like it's just a logging issue, which also existed in previous versions of ePO: I tried 5.3.2, 5.3.3 and 5.9.1, and all show the same pattern of "skipping file..." messages. However the actual files are definitely written to the snapshot in the database: if you run the following query against the ePO database

select * from orionsnapshot order by targetextension

and then check the rows where the targetextension value is RepositoryMgmt, in the Key column you'll see the paths to the stored software packages.

I'm not sure of the exact reason behind the logging, but it appears that a) nothing has actually changed and b) the snapshot process is still functioning correctly.

Hopefully that helps Smiley Happy

Regards -

Joe

20 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

I hadn't seen this before, but I have just done a couple of tests and can see the same entries that you describe, both in ePO 5.3.3 and in 5.9.1. As they are info-level messages I can only assume we have added some additional logging.

Just for peace of mind I ran the snapshot, uninstalled and then reinstalled from the snapshot - this was successful, so I'm confident the snapshot still works.

Thanks -

Joe

0 Kudos
twenden
Level 13

Jump to solution

Glad to see that you are seeing the same messages. It just makes me wonder if it is really backing up the necessary file. I might try uninstalling ePO and then reinstall via the snapshot.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Definitely test it - as I said I've tried it successfully here so I'm confident the snapshot process isn't broken, but I'd be interested to hear your results.

Regards -

Joe

0 Kudos
twenden
Level 13

Jump to solution

Yes, I uninstalled and reinstalled ePO 5.9.1 via a snapshot. It does work and ePO is functional. Still get those messages in the orion.log after a snapshot is created.

I would think that overtime that the orion.log file will grow with these errors. We tend to do a disaster recovery snapshot every night.

Is there a way to shrink the orion log if it grows too big?

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

I am testing this to be sure, but I suspect those have already been backed up and are current.  I can't verify that till I am done testing, so I will let you know.

0 Kudos
twenden
Level 13

Jump to solution

Thanks.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

I still get same log entries.  Some of those I would expect to see, as it wouldn't be necessary to save some of them.  The ones I am concerned about are the extensions.  If you go to the server task log for that task, then drill into it to view the log messages, does it show it backing up those extensions that it says it skipped, such as the eepc ones, and others?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

actually those are software packages.  Are those in current or other branch of the repository? 

0 Kudos
twenden
Level 13

Jump to solution

I had to revert the snapshot back to version 5.3.3. I will be able to go back to version 5.9.1 tomorrow so will let you know then.

0 Kudos